CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Starting the bike during winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting the bike during winter

Will this keep the battery charged and the fluids flowing? I start it about once a week, and have a full tank of gas, I'm not worried about engine moisture people say that is mostly on older bikes to worry about.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazed
Will this keep the battery charged and the fluids flowing? I start it about once a week, and have a full tank of gas, I'm not worried about engine moisture people say that is mostly on older bikes to worry about.

Depends on how long you run it.

A couple of minutes no, but 10 to 15 minutes it will recharge somewhat but still eventually lose charge over the winter period.

Best bet is to get a smart trickle charger, which charges, then 'tops up' the battery as needed.

I use a Ctek

Website Motorcycle Battery Chargers - Full Range Order Online - Ctek Battery Chargers

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 12-10-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 AM

A trickle charger is by far the best investment during winter, i would start the bike up for about 15 mins but not to recharge the battery (that level of time will not do this anyway) i would start it up just to get the fluids flowing through the pipes etc of the bike, move the tyres around so the pads don't bind etc etc, if you can go for a quick spin on the road when the weather is dry and ok then all the better, but i have mine on an Optimate and it has never failed to start, i just start it a couple of times and run it for about 20 mins or take it out for 30 mins on the road if its not raining or there is ice etc on the road.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

idk about you guys, but i found 2 trickle chargers at my local goodwill (with quick connects) for $10 each.

so it doesn't have to be a huge cost. just keep your eyes peeled! definitely get a trickle charger.

not that i live up north, but i can imagine that if you have a half full gas tank and you heat the bike all the way up, when it cools back down to your cold outside temp, wouldn't that cause moisture to get in the gas tank?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:49 AM

Moisture in the tank maybe yes. Where can I find new bolts that hold down the seat. mine are about to strip out that's why i dont want to take my seat off again to charge it

Old 12-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

any hardware store. i think they're 8mm /1.0 thread pitch.... but that's memory talking. just take one with you and you can get it

Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 PM

Best thing is not to start it. Older or new doesn't matter,its cumbustion and in return makes condensation unless ridden for a complete heat cycle it will build inside. I have Battery Tenders....(name brand) that have a pigtail that stays on the battery and I plug in without removing the seat. I have them on my 954 and 600RR.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by BadS1
Best thing is not to start it. Older or new doesn't matter,its cumbustion and in return makes condensation unless ridden for a complete heat cycle it will build inside. I have Battery Tenders....(name brand) that have a pigtail that stays on the battery and I plug in without removing the seat. I have them on my 954 and 600RR.
Definitely the best way to go. I've always been told that once you store it, leave it stored until you're ready to ride again. Also the battery tenders with the removable pigtail connectors like you said are awesome. I have mine bolted to my battery terminals. I fed the wires up under my rear seat so all I have to do to connect to the charger is open the rear seat.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I`ve heard that if the bike is stored in a dry, warm place it`s good to give it a few revs every once in a while, say once in a month. to get the fluids going

Old 12-12-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mattson
I`ve heard that if the bike is stored in a dry, warm place it`s good to give it a few revs every once in a while, say once in a month. to get the fluids going

Still condensation..... doesn't matter how warm it is or cold. Storage is storage.

Quick Reply: Starting the bike during winter