General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter is around the corner

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter is around the corner

Well with winter around the car getting stuff ready around the house. Now with my F2 I have been debating a few things. 1) Drain the bowls and fill it stable and don't start her for the entire storage time? 2) Just start her every 2-3 weeks and put seafoam in it.

This is confusing me since with my cars I just start them ever 2-3 weeks and never had a problem(69 mustang and my zx2). What do you guys think? Really its better for a engine to move up and down once in awhile since its easier on the valve springs. Yet getting opinions.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally, I start mine up every once in awhile. But, there are a few things you need to remember if you go this route. Let the engine warm up to full operating temp and let it run for a bit. If you only start and let it run a little, then shut it off, you run the risk of creating condensation throughout your exhaust system, internally in the engine, and just about anything attached to the engine. So let it fully warm up and make sure everything is warmed up. There are so many different materials in a motorcycle engine, they all heat up at different rates, its important to make sure they are all warmed. I personally think its better because it keeps the cylinder walls lubed, and gets oil throughout the engine and relubes the cooling system as well. My bike is stored on stands, so I also run it through a few gears once its warmed up. I dont thinks in needed, but in the middle of winter, I start to miss the sound of it. Also, I pull the battery out and keep it inside the house. I just put it back in when I want to start it.

However, with a carbed bike, you will need to be extra careful when starting it in the cold. The chances of fouling the plugs are greatly increased. Make sure your battery is fully charged when you attempt to start it.

If you plan on not starting for the duration of the winter. You can put stabil in the fuel, run the engine for a bit and then drain the gas from the carbs like you were planning. But, I would also fog the engine. With the engine standing still for so long, the cylinders will need to be protected. I did with my snowmobiles all the time with great luck. But then again, its a matter of minutes to fog a snowmobile, a little harder to do a motorcycle. Also, if your not going to touch it for the winter, make sure to block off your exhaust and intake. This will help keep moisture from getting to your valves, plus keep critters from building nests. A little masking tape works great. Just don't use the cheap stuff, after a winter of being on there, it will leave behind some nasty residue. Oh, and pull the battery and keep it inside. having a trickle charger on it helps, but keeping it out of the cold will help it live longer.

which ever way you go, I always change my oil just before I put it away. that way you have good clean oil that will protect better for the storage period.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the info bud. I appreciate it

Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 PM

For my F3 I always ran stabil in the gas. When winter came I would start it once every other week or so and let it warm up to normal operating temperature. I always kept it on a battery tender over the winter too.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:48 AM

No problems like carbs gumming up lonewolf?

Old 09-28-2009, 02:25 PM

Another vote for starting it every few weeks. I've even taken mine around the block a few times if the roads are clear (in -20 weather it really shocks the cagers to see a bike).

Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 PM

Never had an issue with the carbs gumming up. The bike always had stabil in it everytime I filled up when i got home i would put it in. so if it sat for a week or a day depending on weather i wouldnt have to worry about it. The garage it was in never got below freezing either. I had the bike for 4 years before i sold it for an f4i