Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Taking this corner?

Old 04-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Default Taking this corner?

There are a couple ways for me to get to the street that my apt is on. But this is the most direct route. Coming down 38th and turning onto Powelton. It's a left turn yield on green with a slight downhill grade.

Traffic allowing, what's your take on hooking the turn? Speed & technique (hard late entry, ect)? Usually there's a car on Powelton waiting for the green so let's try to keep it in the single lane, maybe using a bit of the bike lane if necessary

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 AM

Gosh that's a tough tough turn

Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Ya, you can't quite see it in the sat photo but the median separating the north & south bound lanes extends flush with the intersection. So no turning in early to corner it. Have to be in the intersection to begin the turn.

Thought I just hadn't figured it out. Max I've been able to take it in a car is about 25-30 before the tires start complaining.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 AM
April 2010 ROTM

Well with the cars that seem to park on the side and since its a downhill theres gravel there id guess so even if theres not traffic you should try to keep it as upright as you can. Last thing you wanna do is catch some loose sand and spill her

Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 AM

There's sand along the median and the edges where the cars park. For the most part the intersection stays clear. Its a high traffic intersection (there's a major hospital there) and the wide street lets wind help clear away some of it.

It's a tough corner to me. I'm not trying to take it at 60 mph or something stupid. I just don't like how much speed I'm scrubbing off to make the turn. I feel vulnerable there when going slow, even in a car.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 PM

"Out-in-out"
A single lane doesn't give you much to work with, but you're still gonna want to sit on the outside on entry, cut into it to hit whatever apex and then gas out. I hate blind corners, whether it's because I can't see an upcoming car or because there's unforseen dust/gravel/dirt so I'd just recommend you treat it like a turn with a decreasing radius and bring it in for the exit.

Downhill turns scare me, but after adjusting my suspension to suit me and reducing the amount of front-end tuck, it's been easier to trust my bike when leaning and going downhill.

"Slow in, fast out" and looking through the turn are the obvious ones, but considering it's the street, not too fast.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:30 PM

Well, worse comes to worse there is a major hospital there

Seriously tho, I'm just trying to figure this turn out. I know I'm taking it too slow, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I just dislike being so vulnerable in the intersection going so slow to edge around the curve. If there's oncoming traffic, I can wait at the light, like I do in a car.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:23 AM

BTW, if you've got time for it, California Superbike School is swinging by Thunderbolt in south Jersey at the end of summer. They've trained a bunch of pros and everyone who's ever gone has given good testimony about more confidence and largely improved riding ability. From Philly it should only be an hour or two, depending on traffic.

If I only had time to get my license and buy a bike between the time I get back to NJ and the first set of classes I'd attend.