General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's this leak?! Best guess?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's this leak?! Best guess?

Hi there.

My bike fell over about 3 weeks ago.

You can clearly see a leak from the tube, seems to leak fuel off and on every day or so, and I don't know what to make of what's caused this. So, before I take it to the shop... any ideas?

Many thanks, BBP

PS. Originally I tried posting this in the CBR600F4 forum two weeks ago but go no answers.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

If it is fuel - it's the overflow tube from either the carbies or the fuel tank. Trace it up and work it out. Dip your finger in the liquid and smell it - that'll tell you if it is fuel or not.

If it's the carbies, float height has been knocked out of adjustment by the tip over.

If it's the fuel tank, the vent tube may have split in the tank.

You need to trace the tube to its source.

If it IS fuel and it's leaking onto a hot exhaust this is not considered good for longevity, both the bike and yours!

Cheers, SB

Old 11-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.It is definitely fuel and it pools substantially when I refill it with more fuel.

So I traced it up to what seems like a little reserve chamber of sorts, and it appears that when the bike tipped over the impact somehow switched the fuel reserve petcock position to "on". I will check later to see if the leaking has stopped and will report back.

Thanks, BBP

Old 11-06-2015, 12:04 AM

The tube goes to the fuel pump (fuel pump drain tube). I have confirmed the structure in the manual.

In other words I have a leak somewhere further up the tubes, perhaps the carbs. leaking down into the pump and it's going out the pump drain tube. I've turned the petcock to off position to stop the major bleeding but I guess I'll have to take it to the shop and have a pro go over it.

Thanks, BBP

PS any suggestions welcome.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 313 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBerryPie
The tube goes to the fuel pump (fuel pump drain tube). I have confirmed the structure in the manual.

In other words I have a leak somewhere further up the tubes, perhaps the carbs. leaking down into the pump and it's going out the pump drain tube. I've turned the petcock to off position to stop the major bleeding but I guess I'll have to take it to the shop and have a pro go over it.

Thanks, BBP

PS any suggestions welcome.
Like what was stated earlier, my money is ona stuck float or a cracked t-pipe