General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what oil is best

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what oil is best

ORIGINAL: MotoGPRacer

REPSOL
Why?

Old 08-08-2007, 05:58 PM

I say Honda Oil is best. Why? Because it came factory fill in our bikes. Formulated for use in our engines and wet clutch by Honda.... Thats why

Old 08-08-2007, 06:23 PM

I would say you won't go wrong using the factory oil...but the best...nah. I'd put my money on a company who's speciality and reputation are based around the quality of their oil...not a manufacturer that happens to recommends it's own oil and nobody else's.

I agree that usually the designers/engineers who conceived and built the vehicle are a safe bet when it comes to what fluids to run as they've been tested and proven to do their job. But the best...not necessarily.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is no best...it all depends on riding style, interval, condition, type, etc.
if you want to know oil is best for your style and your bike do a used oil anaylsis (it's 'a' and not 'an' even though the word following the letter 'a', which happens to be 'used'in this case,starts with a vowel)...it'll tell you what oil is best for your riding and bike and approximately when to change it out.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:30 PM

Warren 10w40

Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 PM

Tugzy
I say Honda Oil is best. Why? Because it came factory fill in our bikes. Formulated for use in our engines and wet clutch by Honda.... Thats why
+1

Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 PM

I agree with this idea. Although...it all depends on how you use your machine. I enjoy using and abusing anything motorized which I own, so I belive in giving it the best possible protection from my abuse. I have researched and read all kinds of opinions and tests...I belive AMSOIL is the best out there. Plenty of published experiments prove it for me!

Old 08-18-2007, 04:11 PM

I like Lucas w/ a bit of their conditioner added. All the bikes I've used it in seem to like it as well.The conditioner really quiets an engine without fouling plugs like most oil additives do, and seems to increase power. It pepped up an old ZX6 of mine to the point I had to watch my tach on downshifts because I kept skidding the rear wheel with engine braking.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Is it bad to switch brands of Oil? I have heard once you start using brand of oil you should stick with that brand? something about how the oils are different, but i have never heard any one who knows what they are talking about say that. and how about mobil 1 10w30? i have heard something about how car oils are not good for motorcycle clutches (I dont think my 03 has a slipper clutch though so would it matter)

Old 08-18-2007, 06:37 PM

I don't think "car" oilis bad for a bike, or switching oils for that matter. My used ZX6 was so dirty inside due to a bad vacuum valve in the carb, I ran about three oil changes in the first 400 miles with regular old Pennsoil. When it quit dirtying up every hundred miles, I switched to the Lucas semi synth oil and the bike loved it. Perhaps in a perfect race bike situation it wouldn't be the best thing to do...or, you may be talking about mixing oils in the crankcase.(Mobil w/ Pennsoil for example)I only do that if I'm in a pinch.