General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does peak voltage tell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:39 AM
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Question What does peak voltage tell?

i have a question regarding the peak voltage testing which i haven't done so far
normally i use resistance as the measurement to check my stator, ignition coils and pulse generator in my Fireblade. it clearly shows the coil resistance as well as the coil short circuit or open circuit. once i had a bad pulse generator which went open circuit randomly. so with the multimeter i could diagnose that error and replaced it with a good one so the resistance reading helped in that situation.

but in my manual it advises us to perform a peak voltage test apart from that resistance test. it applies for both the ignition coil primary side and the pickup coil. it says reading should be 100V or above for the ignition coil primary side and 0.9V or obove for the pickup coil. it seems that we have to have a special adapter for our multimeter to perform these two tests. i googled and found some information but didn't find a good explanation.

so my questions are,

1) what does the peak voltage reading tell us about the ignition coil primary side and the pickup coil? now i'm aware of performing these two tests but i'm not clear what that reading shows. specially in that ignition coil primary side test.
2) to rule out any problem do i need to perform both the resistance and the peak voltage tests? isn't the resistance test enough?

thank you.

Last edited by cbrbike; 02-27-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This should show the reasoning behind using the PVA ,easier to do it this way as I'm a one finger typist
Also here's one I made earlier
https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-t...daptor-156906/

Attached Thumbnails What does peak voltage tell?-pva.jpg1.jpg   What does peak voltage tell?-pva.jpg-2.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
This should show the reasoning behind using the PVA ,easier to do it this way as I'm a one finger typist
Also here's one I made earlier
https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-t...daptor-156906/
thank you very much.i'll read it

Old 02-21-2018, 03:36 AM

hello. i have an update here first of all big thank to CaBaRet for his DIY peak voltage adapter and the continuous support

i made a peak voltage adapter with the help of him and it worked really well. i could measured both my pulse generator peak and the ignition primary circuit peak. in my circuit i used 2.2uF 450V capacitor since i couldn't find a 1uF capacitor.

here's a useful link if you are going to make one yourself also you can check CaBaRet's DIY adapter post thank you.

Last edited by cbrbike; 02-21-2018 at 03:45 AM.