General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal issues (warning - it's an odd one!!)

Old 02-23-2018, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal issues (warning - it's an odd one!!)

Dear All!

Firstly thank you - for reading this but mostly for all the help I've already had from the pages of CBRforum!

The problem - at high revs the turn signals stop working. As the revs get high, they don't come on when the switch is pressed or if they were flashing, they stop. At low revs (idle or with the engine off) the turn signals work fine.
Thinking I knew what the problem was - to test I set the turn signals flashing, started bringing up the revs until the flashing stopped. Then turned the high beams on and suddenly the turn signals started working again. Same thing happens when I turn on the brake light.
I have probed around a little with the multimeter, only with the bike turned off, I can measure continuity to ground on the white and green cable that connects to the turn signal relay. The green and white cable is on the side of the relay that connects to the fuses - I'm no expert but that doesn't seem correct...

Some background - when I got the machine (a beautiful 125r 2005 - totally love it!) one of the headlight bulbs wasn't working. I replaced both headlight bulbs with LED. This involved removing the fuel tank (replaced some old hoses at the same time) I mention this because there are a lot of electrical connectors underneath - I'm almost certain I didn't disturb these but this worked occurred all at the same time so I mention it for thoroughness sake!

The LED headlights are 20W, the bulbs they replaced were 35W. I thought that when the revs get high and the bike is generating electricity that combined with the lower overall draw on the system meant there is too much electricity for the system to manage and that was stopping the turn signals. This (vague) idea seemed confirmed when I add more draw - ie turning on the high beams or break light and the turn signals start working again.

I have changed the rectifier/regulator, the turn signal relay and have shuffled around the fuses - same results in testing after each change.

With all this in mind, I've added a 10 Ohm load resistor to each LED to bring them in line with the original bulbs...to my utter disappointment, the problem remains.

Changing the headlights back would be quite a mission (there is now a strong adhesive involved and the fairings are not going back together the same way each time - the bike has had quite a history before it reached me!) and I would really like to keep the LED's. I do absolutely realise it may be a necessary step in the troubleshooting but I would love to explore and resolve the issue keeping the convert to LED's!

I really hope someone is able to help guide me here or share similar experiences and the solutions they found!

Thanks a million and all the very best!