General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird chain noise after adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird chain noise after adjustment

I took my F4 into the shop to have a new front tire put on and I also had them adjust the chain since it had a lot of slack in it but while I was riding it home I noticed a rubbing noise coming from the chain once every revolution. It sounds like one of the links (probably the master link) is hitting the chain guide but I'm not positive that this is the problem. The previous owner did put a 14 tooth front sprocket on instead of the 16 tooth stock size so I was thinking that may be why this is happening. I'm gonna be replacing the chain and sprockets in the next week or so and I was just seeing if it's safe to ride the bike like this until then or if I should take my bike back in and have them readjust the chain. Any help or input would be appreciated!

Old 05-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

a chain snapping could take off your leg.... did YOU check the chain? whether a shop does it or not, it's your life and your responsibility to make sure your ride is good to go. there should be 1 3/4 inches to 2 inches of play in the chain half way between the sprockets with the axle, pivot bolt, and front sprocket level with each other.

having a 14t front sprocket may be part of the problem, but the you didn't say the noise was there before the adjustment. if it wasn't there before, then it's not the cause of the noise. the defining moment was adjusting the chain.

check the chain, make sure there's the correct amount of slack in it. you'll also see huge gouges in chain guide if it's eating that up. check the master link. i assume it's a clip type master link right? make sure the clip is still on there correctly. lube and clean it. take it for a slow ride around the block to see if that noise is still there. if it is, i'd park it until you get the new chain.

Last edited by Conrice; 05-16-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:11 AM

Definitely check the chain yourself. No one...no matter how much you pay...will do as good a job on your bike as you would because it's not their a** in the seat. As said by conrice check that the chain slack is correct. To loose and it might come off, to tight and it will damage the tranny shaft the front sprocket rides on not to mention it will make weird noises if the chain is to loose or tight. Now.you want to measure from the swingarm forward mount bolt in the frame bsck to the axle on each side. Obviously you want both sides to be the same length. When YOU are satisfied with your work tighten everything back down and cruise around the neighborhood. I would not ride till i figured it out.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
there should be 1 3/4 inches to 2 inches of play in the chain half way between the sprockets with the axle, pivot bolt, and front sprocket level with each other.
Does the F4 require more chain slack or something? My 1000RR manual says there should be 1.0 - 1.4 inches of slack halfway between the sprockets. I've always adjusted it to around 1-inch of slack.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Registered Users

I didn't get a chance to check it before I left the dealer because I was in a hurry to leave but I looked at it yesterday and found a tight spot in the chain so I had them put a new chain on and all is good now. I appreciate all the help and input though!