General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Brake / Marker Light Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Brake / Marker Light Troubles

I'm having a strange problem I hope you all can help me with.

To the first problem, long story short, I had to make a repair to the negative ground on the tail light assembly. I ended up soldering the line back together in the actual harness right near the connector for the rear light assembly. With the tail light assembly unplugged, I can get 12v at the connection to the tail light, 0v at the ground and 12v at the wire to the brake light when the brake pedal is applied. When I hook up the harness to the tail light the tail lights work, but the brake does not. Leaving the wire harness connected to the tail light assembly and testing voltage PAST the connection on the tail light side, I am getting 0v. WTF is going on? I tried bypassing the wire connector and connecting directly to the tail assembly and I still get no brake light.

The second problem, I have no right rear side markers. The left works fine and when I tested voltage there I had 12v, when I tested the right, I have 0v, however, the turn indicator works.. <shrug>

Anybody, anybody?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Default RE: Weird Brake / Marker Light Troubles

No suggestion??

I have discovered some more information. Instead of using a voltmeter, I used a test light connected to the wiring harnes end to the brake like switch. When I apply the brake, I do get power to the test light but the light is dim. When I check the voltage of the test light, I only get 6 volts. That's far below what I'm assuming is needed to power up two 12v lamps. Any suggestion as to what could be causing my problem?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Default RE: Weird Brake / Marker Light Troubles

Well, I figured out the problem. In case anyone ever comes across this issue, it's my Brake light switch. For some reason, there is low voltage coming out of the switch to the light assembly. When I jumped the "Power-In" connection to the "Power-Out" connection on the Brake lever the brake light comes on as it should. Time to troubleshoot this damned switch now.