General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

used upper cylinder and valve cleaner,wont start!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used upper cylinder and valve cleaner,wont start!?

I put in about 3 oz of lucas upper cylinder and valve cleaner in around 4 gallons of gas in my 01 929rr after putting in a new clutch. bike wont start. what happens if i used this aka waay too much also. it says 4oz treats 25gallons of fuel... i know idk wtf i was thinking!! i drained the tank and put in fresh 93 octane and no start still. battery is good.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 PM

the spark plugs probably fouled out. even if you use the proper amount, the cleaning process and wipe out a set of plugs. They become gummed up.

Check your plugs, if they are not firing, change them. Theres really no saving them once they are fouled like that.

Having said that. Did the bike ever start? it should have at least started and ran until the cleaner got through the system and started to do its thing.

Is there a possibility you didn't hook up, or damage the pulse generator or crank position sensor during your clutch swap?

Last edited by justasquid; 07-29-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:51 PM

i unbolted the pulse generator sensor thing like i saw in a tutorial vid on youtube. i just took of the two boltsand i hookedit back up the same way. it didnt start at all after. i tried removing the aribox to remove the plugs but couldnt get to them idk how it seems the frame is in the way !!?? i tried using the swivel socket thing but still couldnt. im up for changing the plugs if someome can tell me how the hell to get em out. also the bike ran like crap before the clutch install the idle was waay low to stalling and it felt like it had a bad slipping clutch. i bought it as a project bike that was dropped and sitting for two yrs. i have a constant red light on and a oil symbol on my gauges. ??

Old 07-29-2010, 11:42 PM

getting the plugs out varies from bike to bike. Most can be done once you remove the tank and the airbox, others you have to remove the radiator and get to the plugs from the front of the bike. As for the tools required, you will need a sparkplug socket, and a small extension. If you do it this way, you can drop in the socket, then drop in the extension and hook it up the the socket, then install the rachet. You will need an extension that just barely sticks about the cylinder head when its attached. Then, when you get the plug loose, remove the rachet, remove the extension, and take a magnet probe and grab the socket, hopefully with the plug still in it. If its not, no biggie, the magnet can be used to pull out the plug as well. then, just repeat the process. Put the new plug into the socket, lower it into the hole, attach the extension, use your finger tips to start the plug now before attaching the rachet. Once its started, attach the rachet and tighten the plugs.

there are various ways of doing the plugs, but this method has worked for me on all of my bikes so far. Just be careful not to drop the plug into the hole. slowly lower it in place. Oh, and another good ol secret to making sure you don't cross thread the plugs. Begin by rotating the extension as you are loosening the plug, when you feel it drop slightly, begin to tighten it. the drop is the start of the threads lining up.

As for whats really wrong, its hard to say. A crashed bike could have so many variables. Did you remove any of the fairings? Did you unplug the gauge cluster? There are many different sensors, such as the Bank Angle Sensor, that need to be plugged in in order for the bike to run.

Since it didn't start at all afterwards, I would lean towards the cleaner not being the problem.

Last edited by justasquid; 07-29-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:54 PM

ive had the bike running a good few times before i added the fuel treatment. the bike has the fairings removed. i had it running three different times before later when it wouldnt start.