General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPS battery alternative

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPS battery alternative

Morning or evening depending on what side of the pond yer on!
Ok, My streetfighter project is mostly based on a 87/88 1000 Hurricane and as part of the project, I want to relocate the battery to under the seat but it will have to lay on its side. Mow I know that a bike gel battery is the proper answer but Ive been offered a 17amp ups sealed battery for zero beer tokens. This would fit nicely and although the amperage exceeds the bikes stock battery, would it function ok overall?

Old 09-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

I don't know, but my gut feeling is that it wouldn't. Without knowing the exact specs of the replacement battery and original battery (and I'm not saying that I'm qualified to compare them) it would be hard to say. I do know that automotive/motorcycle batteries are designed to be able to produce a large amount of current for a short period of time without damaging them. The UPS battery is probably designed to have a known fixed load and be able to supply steady output for an extended amount of time. I'm not sure if that battery would be able to turn over the engine. I'd try hooking it up in the normal position to see if it even will start the bike.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:15 PM

I'll definitely test it before any permanent fitment! I thought it may work as its a about 4amp stronger than the bikes stock one but knowing my luck it wont I suppose a test is the only way!

Old 09-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your stator and R/R will be getting a work out !
and cranking amps will be interesting from an output perspective

although it might work for a while

Long term effects will be the issue

Let us know how this goes ! always like to see
how 'try outs" like this work

Old 09-25-2010, 02:28 PM

I dont think it will work. If anything, a few cells will be dry, and could potentially cause an issue since they are all part of the system. Those cells will more than likely burn or short out, destroying the entire battery fairly quick. I think your best bet is to find a newer style small battery that is in modern sportbikes. their dimensions are basically reversed of what a normal battery is. Meaning they are shorter and wider. Plus, I don't know what the shock rating is on those batteries. I don't think it would be anything like a normal bike battery. Plus the issues IDoDirt said will probably play into it.

I would do some searching on ebay and look at dimensions of motorcycle batteries that will work for you.

For example, here is a short style one on ebay right now. If your go with aftermarket batteries, you can pick them up cheap. the dimensions are shown at the bottom of the page.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BATTE...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by justasquid; 09-25-2010 at 02:35 PM.