General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idling problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idling problems

I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting in the right section. About 2 weeks ago, I bought a 1995 cbr600 f3 and it was running great. A few days ago, I was forced to park on the street by my apartments and someone knocked her over. It was picked back up, but it hasn't been able to hold a steady idle since and it stalls at stop signs and sometimes with open throttle. Suggestions? I have ridden it every day in hopes that it was just my plugs being wet with fuel, but it hasn't fixed anything.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how long was it on its side?

If it was overnight, chances are pretty good oil filled your air box, and could have plugged your air filter. that the first thing I would do is check the air box.

Also, check your idle adjuster on the side of the bike and turn the idle up a bit to see if clears up. this wouldn't explain the rough idle with the throttle on, but it would explain an odd or rough idle if its too low.

third, I'd check the plugs. More than likely, being knocked over, gas and or oil entered one or more of your cylinders. In doing so, you probably have a fouled plug or two. With the ingition system on these bikes being somewhat subpar, they need the sparkplugs to be perfect. Once they have fouled, the usual fix is to just replace them. Buy a set of ngk's, like the oem ones. Don't skimp out on plugs or your bike will not run correctly for reasons already mentioned.

A long shot, but the tumble may have messed up the petcock, and the gas may not be flowing correctly. Just something else to rule out.

Other than those things, Im really not sure what to check. Oh, but if you haven't checked your oil level, you'll want to make sure the oil level is good.