F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

E85 alternative

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 alternative

As many of you know E85 has an octane rating around that of some race fuels which makes it a cheap and fun alternative. I believe during combustion it requires 40% more E85 for a given amount of air when compared to its gasoline counterpart. To be able to run it properly would require at the very least larger injectors and something to tune. My question is, does anyone know the factory injector size of an 02 f4i? Also, does anyone know if you can make a power commander control the fuel maps upon first starting? Thanks

Old 01-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Default RE: E85 alternative

Haha, I was just asking about that in the thread about power commanders!

Glad to see im not the only one interested in E85!

Also you forgot to mention how much cleaner E85 burns than regular gasoline.

Im not sure what the injectors are rated for, but I believe that it says somewhere in the manual. You can download it your self, or I can check it when I get home.

Laters

-Charlie

Old 01-30-2007, 04:20 PM

the injector would only need to inject more fuel. you wouldn't need to make them larger... i wouldn't think anyway.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

the injector would only need to inject more fuel. you wouldn't need to make them larger... i wouldn't think anyway.
You would need to upgrade injectors because of the large amount of extra fuel you would need in the cylinders. Otherwise the injectors would be running at a very high injector pulse width, if not above %100 they'd be close to it.

So this is why we were wondering if the power commander would be able to handle larger injectors.

thanks!

-Charlie

Old 01-30-2007, 06:35 PM

from what I understand, the PC only changes maps after the engine is warm

Old 01-30-2007, 09:59 PM

Not trying to jack the thread, but do they make a PC that has complete control over everything? Kinda like the SCT X-Cal2 does for any Ford vehicle? If the PCIII only remaps after the engine is warm, will it still run with the bigger injectors for those of us wanting to run E85? I know that the PCIII doesnt reprogram the ECU, like the x-cal2, but isn't a simmilar idea? I guess what i'm tryin to get at, is what exactly is the PCIII capeable of?

Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 PM

The HRC computer is pretty customizable, but from what i hear is horridly expensive, nearly impossible to come by, and is pretty complicated if you don't know what you're doing. all the PCIII does is modify the signal that the ECU sends to the injectors. that's all.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:43 AM

if you run e85 in your bike it will eat all the plastic components in your fuel system. all the gas lines and every thing would have to be changed to braided steal and your fuel injectors could not have plastic internals. its not as easy as just bigger injectors and a tune man sorry.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:50 AM

BUUUUUUUL ****......

That might have been true 20 years ago, but todays rubbers (hehehehe, rubbers) resist just about everything except solvents. believe it or not, the braided steel lines... rubber or plastic tubes surrounded by braided steel.. that's all they are. the steel is there so they don't explode.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:06 AM

ORIGINAL: 95camaro01f4i

if you run e85 in your bike it will eat all the plastic components in your fuel system. all the gas lines and every thing would have to be changed to braided steal and your fuel injectors could not have plastic internals. its not as easy as just bigger injectors and a tune man sorry.
Yeah, not any more man. All gasoline you buy has about 10% ethanol in it, so everything can with stand it.

There are quite a few DSM's that I know of that are running E85 w/o upgrading the ENTIRE fuel system. Just a huge fuel pump 1000cc injectors, and a good tune!

Thanks for the concern though!

-Charlie

Quick Reply: E85 alternative