General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TONS of rain - now I won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TONS of rain - now I won't start

I will try and give as much information as I can:

Bike ALWAYS sits outside with a cover, well I left for like 3 days and forgot to cover my bike...we got about 4 inches of rain (crappy). SO i ride the bike, everything is fine about 5 miles to the gym. Get on my bike at the gym and the headlight (HID, which I have had for 1.5 years) is buzzing and flickering...weird. So the bike starts fine and I rev it a bit and the light shuts off...very weird. I get home and the HID won't turn back on, oh well.

Next day, bike won't start and NOTHING turns on, I mean nothing. I tried real hard to jump start and it wouldn't. Pull the seat, battery terminals are tight BUT the fuse for my headlights is popped, so I replace it and try to jump start the bike...to no avail.

Then I hook it up to a trickle charger, set it on 10 amps for about 2 hours, I go to start the bike and freak out; my heated grips (had them for about 1 year as well) are almost too hot to touch and they aren't on. I have the little control module on the handlebar and it is off...bike has plenty of electrical power now, everything comes on and the fuel pump primes (nice and loud) - go to start the bike and it starts to turn over and I smell gas, but never really 'catches' just keep trying. So I charge it up another 15 minutes and try again (I unhooked the heated grips altogether)...nothing just TRYING to start, but it just won't catch. Like there is no spark?

No matter what, it will not start and I am stumped. I feel like an ***, I always take care of my bike and the one time I don't cover it up, we have a god damned monsoon.

Any ideas? I have heard try swapping computers, cam sensor....anything else obvious to check?

Thanks guys.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones
Then I hook it up to a trickle charger, set it on 10 amps for about 2 hours
LOL - for one, 10 amps is NOT trickle charging. You'll fry your motorcycle battery if you keep doing that, if you didn't already. 1 amp or less is a trickle charge.

Anyway, it sounds like moisture might be in one or more connectors. You might try spraying some WD40 in electrical connections where there's any chance that water may have gotten into. Among other things WD40 displaces moisture.

Does the bike have a fuel management system such as a PC V? Some people have had problems with moisture in the control module main harness connector after washing their bike.

Last edited by RoadiJeff; 10-07-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
...Anyway, it sounds like moisture might be in one or more connectors. You might try spraying some WD40 in electrical connections where there's any chance that water may have gotten into. Among other things WD40 displaces moisture...
^ This.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Wow, I thought 10 amps was a tiny charge...no wonder it overloaded and heated up the handwarmers...but just strange the water seemed to kill my bike, before that.

I will loosen up the battery leads and WD 40 them.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Anyway, it sounds like moisture might be in one or more connectors. You might try spraying some WD40 in electrical connections where there's any chance that water may have gotten into. Among other things WD40 displaces moisture.
To help seal out moisture and prevent corrosion, put some dielectric grease into the connectors. I had a headlight problem and it was moisture in my main harness. Put some dielectric grease in there and not a problem since. You can get it at any parts store (AutoZone, Advanced Auto) and it costs around 5-6 bucks a tube. It has many uses, but word is it can melt rubber over time, specifically silicone rubber over time, but I don't know what "time" is.