General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Punctures - Mudflaps? Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 10:24 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tire Punctures - Mudflaps? Advice?

Hi All,
I've gotten my second puncture this MONTH, and my third this YEAR. Every year I ride I seem to get at least 3~5 punctures. I don't know anybody around that gets tire punctures as much as I do. No I do not ride on the shoulder, cross dividing triangles, dive into potholes, tailgate other vehicles, commute on construction heavy roads, or go offroading on a bed of nails. But after 3 consistently punctured years it's getting hard to just chalk it up to bad luck.

Best case scenario I have to let my bike sit a week so I can go to the shop on the weekend and get it plugged from the inside, but sometimes I have had to throw away a brand new tire (have gotten staples in my tire - two holes too close to each other) This makes me really reluctant to invest in some good tires. Not to mention it really fugging ruins my day when I was really looking forward to a full day of hard riding.

Does anyone have advice on preventing tire punctures. I read on the net about installing a mudflap on the bottom of the front fender, but am concerned about lean clearance, plus the fact that it's going to look really ****ing ugly on a sportbike...

Old 05-30-2019, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hate to say it , but has someone got it in for you, where do the punctures occur , going to work or coming home? I'd think myself unlucky if I had one every 3 years

Old 05-31-2019, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Hate to say it , but has someone got it in for you, where do the punctures occur , going to work or coming home? I'd think myself unlucky if I had one every 3 years
Coming home, going for a ride, even happened when I took her out for a 5 min test ride after a clutch job. Can't say its ever happened going TO work. I didn't think anyone had anything against me but now that I think, I know several of my neighbors hate my motorcycle. They've complained several times that its too loud in the morning when I leave for work. btw I leave around 9-10am and I just turn it on and get my helmet/gloves on before immediately pulling out so they're being little bitches in my opinion. Idk if they would go so far as to scatter nail bits on my driveway tho, thats basically attempted murder isnt it

Old 06-01-2019, 12:07 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Time to take a walk and look down a bunch. Do you have any security cameras set up?

Old 06-03-2019, 06:07 AM

Went out with a headlamp looking for nails on the driveway. No I do not have a security camera. Maybe time to get one? ... Maybe neighbor doing voodoo on a scale model motorcycle.
I got some fresh Q4 on this weekend, keeping my fingers crossed.