General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips and tricks for new riders.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tips and tricks for new riders.

Very helpful stuff, thanks.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:05 AM

Hey what about doing wheelies on the freeway, or doing endos when approaching a red light.

LOL...just kidding fellas very good tips

Oh yeah I almost forgot...when your being chased by a cop always remember to twist your right hand.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:47 PM

Try to stop with the bars straight. Cuts down on those low speed tip overs.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

watch where you put your feet/tires at stop signs and intersections......in the summer peoples a/c drips, theres coolant and oil aswell.....so keep an eye out.

make sure your shoe laces are tucked in, wonder why? wait till you try to come to a stop and your foot wont seem to touch the ground .

when riding in the rain/snow, remember smooth and steady is best. dont be choppy w/ the throttle and make sure you are extra gentle w/ the brakes.

i'll say again whats already been said b/c i feel its one of the best tips for riding......STAY OUT OF PEOPLES BLIND SPOTS! also think about what the back of tractor trailer's say........'if you cant see my mirrors, i cant see you' .

please dont take any passangers until you've gotten quite a few miles under your belt. i waited until i had 3k. dont try and take someone for a ride when you yourself are barely familiar w/ the machine you're riding.

when riding and you see a line of cars in the neighboring lane that are all tailgating one another, place your thumb over the horn and be prepared to honk. when cars are bumper to bumper like that 10 times out of 10 someones irritated w/ someone thats is going slow and they are ready to jump out of that lane!

when coming to a stop, flash your brake light. if someone behind you isnt paying attention, the flashing of your brake light may get their attention and save your ***.

when buying/wearing gear (ALWAYS gear up by the way. sweating beats bleeding)......make sure it fits you properly. loose gloves will do you no good what so ever if you find yourself sliding down the highway....they'll slide right off your hands.

if you find yourself riding in a complete downpour and visibility is extremely poor, ride down the shoulder or the center line and get to the front of the intersections. while lane splitting in damn near every state IS illegal.......i'd rather have a ticket than a funeral, and i'll be sure to tell the cop that. i feel you are much safer at the front of the line that in the back where people wont even see your taillight. again, i only do this in the worst of the worst visibility to make sure I MAKE IT to where im going safely.

while riding a motorcycle is extremely fun and sight-seeing while you're out and about is great..........dont glance away from your path of travel for TOO long........it only takes a split second for things to go very very wrong.

MSF class tip, 'always leave yourself an out'..........ALWAYS!

if you find yourself in a corner TOO fast, do not panic. remain calm and follow through and lean through. panicing can result in 'target fixation'.

MOST IMPORTANTLY.........HAVE FUN AND ENJOY!

Old 01-04-2009, 02:27 PM

I got one..... if you strap down your bike in the back of a truck, when your ready to unload bike 1. put down kickstand 2.loosen strap on the opposite side of the kickstand first, if you loosen the strap on the same side as the kickstand the other strap will just pull it over.