F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tips, Tricks, and things i should do

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips, Tricks, and things i should do

Here is the deal, one of my buddies is deployed and i want to do some work on his bike while he is gone......Bare with me on this, I'm a V-twin Buell guy.

He already has new coolant and a recent oil change from our last track day...but what other things can i do to help him out? it has about 10,000 miles on it now, new plugs?? are there better ones than stock? any tricks to smooth out the off on trottle response?

I need to get it repainted too....any suggestions on the best place to buy the paint? honda shop? someplace online cheaper? The prep work and what not i can handle.

Where can i buy the decals for the side fairings?

Also, anyone have a unrashed up stock exhaust they would be willing to sell cheap?

I know its a lot but thanks for any help you guys can give.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Default RE: Tips, Tricks, and things i should do

As a fellow serviceman, I thank you for wanting to do something nice for him while he's gone. However, if my wife did something- anything- to my bike while I was deployed as a surprise, I'd be a little perturbed. I think that before you go turning a wrench on his bike, you should run it by him. Or... save it for when he gets back and tell him you've got $200, $500, $1000 or whatever you want to spend, and you want to spend it on his bike however he feels it should be spent. I don't know... you know your dynamic with him better than I, but that's my two cents.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:51 PM

I dont think he is doing it as a "suprise", not how I read it anyways. I wouldnt buy factory paint, buy something that is mass produced, touch ups are cheaper, and if he hates it it wasnt a ton of money for nothing. You guys live in a cold climate? Maybe put it up for the winter, never hurts to change the plugs, aftermarket pipe would be nice too. If you are worried about sound the Jardine street core is rather quiet and sounds deep/smooth.

I would check ebay for the fairings.

Maybe sand and spray his windsheild with Nightshades (to tint it), rim reflective tape, or even a re-upholstered seat would be cool. I have a gel pad in mine, very comfy.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 AM

Yeah he and i kicked around some idea, and he'll probably check this before he gets back. Not too much longer till then. How long do the plugs generally last in these things? any need to replace them yet? already got a tinted screen on it. I'm hoping to fix the "scuffs" on it but it needs a complete repaint on one side (new decals too).

Old 09-21-2008, 12:27 AM

Throttle response = power commander /w custom mapping

Paint = replace the fairings, its cheaper and less work

Fuel injected bikes are pretty choppy on the throttle compared to a carbed V-twin. It will never be as smooth as the buell, ducati (or any other fuel injected twin) no matter what you do.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Luck Runs Out...

As a fellow serviceman, I thank you for wanting to do something nice for him while he's gone. However, if my wife did something- anything- to my bike while I was deployed as a surprise, I'd be a little perturbed. I think that before you go turning a wrench on his bike, you should run it by him. Or... save it for when he gets back and tell him you've got $200, $500, $1000 or whatever you want to spend, and you want to spend it on his bike however he feels it should be spent. I don't know... you know your dynamic with him better than I, but that's my two cents.
I Agree If I Was Deployed And Came Back To My Bike With Something I Did Not Do I Would Be Kinda Annoyed I'd Just Put A Card With A "X" Amount Of Money In It..BecauseHe Could Liked The "Surprise" Or He Could Dislike It Or If You Know Of Something That He Really Wanted.....

Old 09-21-2008, 01:28 AM

Now, I'm not saying you did, but did you by chance take his bike out and drop it? Paint, rashed up exhaust, sudden will to fix up someones bike just because.....just seems a little funny to me. Haha.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:22 AM

guys...i did not drop it.....been that way since he dropped it 2 years ago....hence why i want to work on it. I did have his bike out at the track with me when i did my track day on my bike. While i was there i taped up his bike and took some pics like i was about to go out on the track with it, sent him those pics....HE was a little disapointed that i DIDN'T take it on the track for a while. And i have done work on his bikes before, no big deal.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Jin

i got a stock exaust i can sell you. its for an f4i right.. you never mentioned the kind of bike but ill assume its an f4i since we are in this section. the exaust was on my 02 f4i. its in good condition. PM me your email and ill send pics. i got a d&d on mine right now so i dont need it.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I think you guys are missing something here. How many friends do you have that have complete access to your bike at all times that you DON'T trust to work on it? Thats something normally reserved for very close, personal friends.

I think he will appriciate it. The plugs don't need replacment until 16,000miles along with the valve inspection. The air filter is a 12,000mile part. If you guys track ride how about some steel braided brake lines? Paint you can get at any auto paint store, they can match the paint code.