General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there REAL differences in chain types?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there REAL differences in chain types?

Greetings all,

I have been trying to find some sort of info that shows documentation -- aside from manufacturer PR-speak -- about the differences in friction between different chains (o-ring, x-ring, t-ring, no ring, etc.). This seems like it should be an easy test: Use a couple of different bikes, and run them identically with a series of different chains, checking the temperature of each at the end of the runs (since friction manifests as heat). If the two bikes show the same differences, I'd feel pretty confident that the test was good.

Am I wrong about the test? It seems so easy that it would be done by manufacturers if their chains were better than those of competitors. As is, all I can find is vague references like "up to 50% less friction."

Any independent info that anyonemight have would be appreciated.

Bob Muller
1995 CBR1000F
Long Island, NY

Old 07-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are there REAL differences in chain types?

another thing is the shape of the chain. Peanut or the other kind (cant remember the name)

Old 07-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Are there REAL differences in chain types?

Chains are a bit like anything else, you get wot you pay for. However don't believe anything that is self promotional, its wot they don't tell you in advertising thats the key " I got 200 more miles a tank running product X" (read: but we only drove at 10 mph the entire time) There is a lot of info on this site & on the web regarding chains. also remember, that its how well maintained they are, wot sort of riding you do, where you do it (as in road & weather conditions), and if you spend the money on a decent set of sprockets as well. I always seem to end up replacing with Regina chains myself.