F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Types of oil used

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Types of oil used

Whats the prefered type of motor oil used in the F4i's. I was thinking about going to Synthetic. Is it better? reasons! I have heard if I go synthetic, I can never go back to regular oil. Is this true. Other comments/opinions!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Default RE: Types of oil used

I use Mobil 1 15w-50. fully synthetic. Its only like $21/5quartsat wal-mart and you can even get the filter there. Do the labor yourself and you got it.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:17 PM

advantages of synthetic v regular? disadvantages of it too?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:23 PM

From what I know, synthetic is better on your moving parts, last longer between oil changes, less harmful for the bike. Regular, well less expensive and yes once you go to synthetic, stay with it. Now regular will get much dirtier and wouldnt last as long as synthetic. my 2 cents. anyone else?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:32 PM

Old 10-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synthetic all the way! - Mobil 1 (though I'm sure other brands are the same) - No blends - High flash points (487 Degrees F) keept it from degrading with heat like conventionals) - Low pour points (-65 Degrees F) so it flows well right at startup.

I run Mobil 115W-50 in all my cars, but I'm planning on going to the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 on my F4i right before storage (just need to find it here...)

It's a cheap upgrade - with it I plan on having to do changes only annually in the fall...

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...cycle_Oils.asp

Feel free to compare it with other conventionals!

Old 10-19-2007, 05:01 PM

i was told that synthetic oil does last longer and protects your engine life better than organic oil does. organic oil also produces more sludge than synthetic does, hence sludge build up = bad for moving parts. i always use synthetic on my cars and my bike

Old 10-19-2007, 05:15 PM

olive oil.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 PM

Oil brings up a lot of thoughts and different opinions..

Depends on what you do with yourbike,how much you ride it etc.
Low mileage and sits a lot a synthetic would keep a better coating on internal parts longer..Drive it a lot then either will do ,but the synthetics hold up longer.

I personally run repsol 10w40 full synthetic.I put a lot of miles on mine though ,stop and go traffic ,beating on it all the time etc..Mines not quite 2 months old and ive got over 4k on her(bought her new).

Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: firemanron

From what I know, synthetic is better on your moving parts, last longer between oil changes, less harmful for the bike. Regular, well less expensive and yes once you go to synthetic, stay with it. Now regular will get much dirtier and wouldnt last as long as synthetic. my 2 cents. anyone else?
WOW, why do people reply when they have no clue what the hell they are talking about?...oil is harmfil for your bike?

Like all oil threads...this one sucks monkey *****. Everyone reccomends what they use without any technical fact to back it up.
You want to know oil fact? Stop reading this thread and go here www.bobistheoilguy.com... go thru oil analysis threads and UNDERSTAND them.

FACT
1) Synthetic is good for long drain intervals
2) Conventional is good if you change more often. Conventional will perform as well as synthetics within the shorter drain intervals
3) You can switch back and fourth between Synthetics and Conventional Oils.
4) Do your research because "Synthetic" does not mean 100% man made. Most "Synthetics" are oils with organic base stocks that are highly refined plus synthetic additives (group II, III)...ie. Castrol, Mobil 1 and lately Amsoil..... (think you are using synth?..most of you fools use these brands now)

A true "Synthetic" is a group IV PAO, V PAG/PFPAE oil.

Quick Reply: Types of oil used