General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temperature gets too hot!!! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature gets too hot!!! Need help!

Let's start from the beginning.....

I got my keys stolen along with my jacket.......solution: I got Honda Motorsports to pick my bike up and made new keys by taking the bike apart to get to the 3 digit code on my ignition. They also replaced new tires and threw on a used chain guard. I got my bike back and the idle was way too high so I adjusted that myself. Tonight was the 1st time I started it again so I could ride since I got it back about a week or two ago. Before that of course I hadn't taken the bike out for over 3 months. Tonight I started up the bike and I let it sit in the driveway running for about 10-15 mins. I came outside and to my surprise there was smoke coming from the front end where the tach is.....I quickly shut off the engine. Then I let it cool off for awhile and finally started taking the fairings apart so I could examine what type of damage had been caused. There was also a big puddle of antifreeze on the ground. Of course the only thing I saw was that it must have gotten so hot that it leaked from the cap because I didn't see any broken hoses. The antifreeze reservoir was at the low point so I mixed 50% antifreeze and 50% water and poured it in til it showed maximum level. I started up the bike and it was running fine. No smoke or anything. I rode it for about 15 mins and the temperature gauge showed pretty hot and it was consistently going down but only a tad bit. It normally cools off and goes below middle or low range on the temp gauge. I was afraid so I pulled over and let it cool off. After about another 30 mins I started it back up and continued to ride back home. About 10 mins into riding it got so hot I think it overheated and started to smoke a tiny bit and the engine shut off on me. I pulled over and yet again let it cool off for about another 20-30 mins. Then it was a little cooled off so I rode home which was about 2 minutes away.

Could someone PLEASE PLEASE tell me what these symptoms show? Is it a thermostat problem? Could the water pump be bad? Could it possibly need oil or something? I'm clueless. This is my 1st bike and right about now I'm pretty aggravated!!! I'd appreciate any input or advice! Thanks!

By the way, I think I'm going to be giving Honda Motorsports a call tomorrow and asking them for some help. I wonder if they could have forgotten something in the entire process when they put the bike back together? Hmmm.....

-Hieu

Old 03-31-2005, 09:18 AM
Default RE: Temperature gets too hot!!! Need help!

Check all hose on the bike that they are approx the same temp after the bike is hot don't get burnt if they are not it might seem a good idea to take the thermostat out and place in boiling water to see if it opens. Need to make sure the fan is switching on after the bike is getting hot. Highly unlikely that the water pump propellers are not gone. Need to make sure there are no air pockets in the cooling system as well. If you have never worked on a bike might be best to leave it to the mechanics safer and will cost you less because if you make a mistake it might cost you more.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:10 PM

Thanks for your help Marinko! I finally found the problem! I looked over the fuse which was blown the first time but I replaced it. It continued to overheat and I looked at the fan to see if it was working......what the solution I had found out was that I needed to fill the entire radiator up with antifreeze and everything worked out fine! It's running good again and cools off like it should when I ride again! Thank goodness!

Old 04-14-2005, 03:35 AM

ORIGINAL: vtec200hp

Thanks for your help Marinko! I finally found the problem! I looked over the fuse which was blown the first time but I replaced it. It continued to overheat and I looked at the fan to see if it was working......what the solution I had found out was that I needed to fill the entire radiator up with antifreeze and everything worked out fine! It's running good again and cools off like it should when I ride again! Thank goodness!
Sounds all very good for you to have averted misery. But what caused your fuse to blow? Do you have a short in your electrical system (if so, it's probaly @ the fan)? You might want to keep an eye on it. The last thing you want is to have problems out on a ride, or have you radiator purge itself all over your back tire[:'(] Hopefully it was just low fluid levels.

Cheers