General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taillight wont stay on!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taillight wont stay on!

My taillight won't stay on, but when I use the brakes the brake light still comes on. What is wrong is it a fuse, or did I disconnect a wire?

I put on new turn signals yesterday and disconnected my license plate lights, then when I turned the bike back on the taillight wasn't coming on, but the brake lights were working, and I wanted to see if anyone had any idea what was wrong before I start fiddling around in it.

Thanks!

Q

Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 AM

Check your fuses first and foremost.

Your "dim" brake lights are running lights, and run on a separate power source than the "stop" lights. Do your front running lights work?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Check your fuses first and foremost.

Your "dim" brake lights are running lights, and run on a separate power source than the "stop" lights. Do your front running lights work?
Yeah I was going to check the fuses tonight after work, you wouldn't happen off the top of your head what fuses I need so I can buy some on the way home....

But yeah the Front running lights work, but my "dim" brake/running lights do not work, kinda weirds me out.
Diff Power source???

Thanks,

Q

Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by dkhieu
you wouldn't happen off the top of your head what fuses I need so I can buy some on the way home....
Not without knowing what type of bike you have. 5A "mini", most likely.

Originally Posted by dkhieu
my "dim" brake/running lights do not work, kinda weirds me out. Diff Power source???
Different in that it's a different wire providing the power. If the fuse doesn't do it and your fronts are working, you're going to have to crack open the tail section and check the bulbs. They have two separate filaments in them, and the running ones could be burnt. Weird coindcidence for BOTH to be blown, but I've seen it. If that's ok, you're gonna have to trace the running light wire from the tailight all the way to back and figure out where the power failure starts.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:53 AM

Not without knowing what type of bike you have. 5A "mini", most likely.
2003 Honda CBR600 F4i

Different in that it's a different wire providing the power. If the fuse doesn't do it and your fronts are working, you're going to have to crack open the tail section and check the bulbs. They have two separate filaments in them, and the running ones could be burnt. Weird coindcidence for BOTH to be blown, but I've seen it. If that's ok, you're gonna have to trace the running light wire from the tailight all the way to back and figure out where the power failure starts.
Man do I hope that its just the Fuse, then just hope its just the bulbs (what bulbs are these), then if its not either then its going to be some lame work just for a light!

What are the bulbs I need to get?

Thanks man your awesome for helping me out!

Q

Old 08-20-2009, 10:00 AM

You know, I don't know the specifics of your particular bike THAT well. Fuse I'd guess 5A, bulb, I don't know. I switched mine over to LED, so I've never actually had to go buy a bulb. Here's your service manual though, maybe you can find something in there:

http://manualedereparatie.info/manua...ratie.info.zip

Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 AM

Thanks Yo, the manual is a great help! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Was working on something else then something else went you know how that gets sometime, a lil frustrating, and I'll ride without it just that I get a little paranoid with cars behind me at night because I have an all black bike and not having that light and a dirty license plate make me pretty much invisible.

Holla!

Q

Old 08-20-2009, 06:48 PM

new bulbs!!! Ha Awesome!!! next new clip ons!! and then turning it into a streetfighter!!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 AM

YES!!!!!! Streetfighters are the greatest things on the planet.

But DON'T ride without rear lights. Seriously, you'll be destroyed.