F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Will start but wont stay on?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will start but wont stay on?

OK just converted my 01 F4i from a track to a street bike, along the way added a bunch of stuff that was missing. While doing this I changed the oil and flush the radiator, ended up breaking a bolt in the water pump and having the Honda dealer drill it out for me. Put the water pump back in now that I have everything back together she will start, idle low then cut off. I also noticed I have a small oil leak. Not sure what I did, not sure if it is the spark plugs or if I didn't connect the water pump flush enough (but it wouldn't start if that was the case?) Was thinking redo everything over again and ensure everything has a tight seal. Just don't want to take it to the stealership and they charge me two arms and a leg that maybe somebody could navigate me thru.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:18 PM

inb4 hi and welcome to the forums.
does it cut off when you give it gas? how long after it cranks does it idle before cutting off?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

What else did you have apart? I'd bet that something got left disconnected or knocked off. Map sensors and vacuum lines are frequently overlooked.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
What else did you have apart? I'd bet that something got left disconnected or knocked off. Map sensors and vacuum lines are frequently overlooked.
I dont think its the map sensor, bevause thats connected. But I will.defintely.check the vaccum lines today. Fyi I had a little bit everythinG apart (electrical) about nothing that I thought would affect the running of the bike.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by RudyGT
inb4 hi and welcome to the forums.
does it cut off when you give it gas? how long after it cranks does it idle before cutting off?

It doesnt cut off initally before after the idle need drops it does, from crank to cut off the time is about 30 sec to a min

Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 PM

seems like it gets warmed up and drops, if im not mistaken and please someone correct me, that is handled by the ecu, but there may be a sensor somewhere as well?
these bikes are supposed to rev higher until warm, mine does.. sometimes anymore.
what are the revs at? real low? have you adjusted your idle screw?

Old 09-13-2012, 07:28 PM

seems like it gets warmed up and drops, if im not mistaken and please someone correct me, that is handled by the ecu, but there may be a sensor somewhere as well?
these bikes are supposed to rev higher until warm, mine does.. sometimes anymore.
what are the revs at? real low? have you adjusted your idle screw?
revs with no issues but after the rev it seems that makes it cut off quicker. Tried the idle screw no dice. I think something maybe pinched. Would the water pump have anything to do with it?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 PM

the bike ran good before you put all the electronics on it correct? such as headlights, turn signals, horn, brake light, tip over sensor (should of stayed in).
the water pump looks fairly straight foward, hoses, impeller.. you would think if it killed the bike there would be nasty noises.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 PM

the bike ran good before you put all the electronics on it correct? such as headlights, turn signals, horn, brake light, tip over sensor (should of stayed in).
the water pump looks fairly straight foward, hoses, impeller.. you would think if it killed the bike there would be nasty noises.
Yeah it ran good before then, just that I have been working on it for about three months without riding. Not sure if that would be an issue. Just baffled right now, have the tablet outside typing and looking. Check things I may have over looked

Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by blackangus
Yeah it ran good before then, just that I have been working on it for about three months without riding. Not sure if that would be an issue. Just baffled right now, have the tablet outside typing and looking. Check things I may have over looked
Not sure the tip over sensor is, but don't think I messed with that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will start but wont stay on?