General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

syncing starter valves - throttle syncing

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default syncing starter valves - throttle syncing

Hello

Copy from the F4i subforum because I got no answers over there..

My f4i has about 16k miles...Recently I have some problems with it. It is weak below 4k rpms, idle fluctuates, when I try to told the throttle at steady rpm's it is fluctuating - even while riding - so I get this bogging. Yesterday I replaced my spark plugs, and wanted to do the throttle sync with my DIY manometer. Problem is, I could not get it to work, so I will attempt it for a second time later this week.

I have few questions related to this job.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Where do I connect my manometer? 1,3,6,7?
Do I have to cap the "valve cover to intake hoses" ?
What do I do about the hoses that go to FPR? cap whatever I unhook from the 5 way or three way splitter?
Do I have to have the MAP connected? What about the sensor that goes on top of Airbox?

Say if I remove all the hoses from 1,3,4,5,6,7 - then connect machine to 1,3,6,7 - what do I do with the 4,5 ? cap them?

I'm really confused right now, please help

Old 06-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you adjusted anything yet? the reason I ask is throttle bodies rarely go out of sync. Even carbs hardly ever go out of sync unless there has been some outside influence on them. If you haven't adjusted them yet, you may want to look for an alternative reason why you have the hesitation. For the

You may want to look towards a faulty coil, bad FPR, plugged fuel filter, or even a severely plugged air filter can cause some issues. Also it has the characteristics of needing the valves adjusted. 16,000 miles is usually the inspection time frame, however, most of the time they don't require adjustment, but it is something to consider.

If you have adjusted them and now need to get them sync'd, there should be a port below each TB coming from the engine itself. (sorry, I can't quite follow your schematic). You will need to sync all 4 at the same time. You mentioned a DIY manometer, so hopefully it is one that will work for your situation.

Another issue though, is if there is something else causing your bike to run poor, such as valves, coil or FPR, it will be nearly impossible to properly sync the TB's. You really need to rule out all other possbilities before being able to truly sync the TB's.