General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swimin with the fishes

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update Zach??? Have you tried looking around the forum for "flooded" like Kuro said... Just wondering. I agree with what others have said about cleaning it. Especially the electrical system. Invest in QD Electrical Contact Cleaner and Dielectric Grease. Clean and grease the ENTIRE electrical system to prevent further corrosion. Was the water fresh or salt??? Let us know and good luck.

Last edited by Trey929RR; 03-05-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: OD.. QD.. Mistype
Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 PM

Hey everyone sorry for the late post but ive been extremely busy working. so no i wasnt able to check out more of the forum yet but ill definetly get right to that. But to answer most the questions...I parked it there cause my ussually parking spot was taken cause we were cleaning **** for the boat so i moved it... there are about 5 bikes at the boatyard that park in the same area right near the water but my luck mine decided to take a dip... haha and yes lesson learnt. Ive completly disasembled most the bike and am currently trying to get the drain bolt off to drain the oil but the place that did the last oil change put it on so tight it cracked my sprocket in half... im taking it to a friend with a bunch of power tools so we'll see how that goes.. But yeah the electrical harnessing is the only thing im worried about and does anyone no where to get those connections?? and im just gonna replace the connetors and the battery..I did not take any pictures cause 1) my phone was dead and 2) i was so sad/mad i didnt even think about it.. but yes it did happen and im very upset about it or else i would not post this and waste my time lol btw the water was salt and yea im wd-40 ing the **** outa it. Thanks though ill keep you updated as much as possible!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 PM

Well actually the water was brackish (mix of salt and fresh water) but it was fairly fresh but im still gonna go throught the entire bike... not worth risking it Id rather take my time even though im itching to ride again!! haha

Old 03-06-2012, 10:10 PM

you usually can get new harness parts on ebay for a decent price. I have an f4i harness without the headlight portion but i dont have an extra f4 harness. If i did i'd just give it to you really really cheap since i feel bad for you lol. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 PM

Dude don't energize any electronics on the bike until they are totally dry. Remove the battery until everything is dry. Your dash might still be salvageable but not if it's still holding water.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:01 PM

I took apart the gauges and its gone to s*** so im just gonna go ahead and do the conversion to a naked bike since everything is off. I dropped the oil lst night and now im gonna change the filter and put in 3qts of marvels mystery oil and 1pt of 10w 40 oil and run that for about n hour or so then dump that and put in the oil ill use. any suggestions against that? and yeah ill check ebay to try and find a harness thanks! anybody know of a good place to get new gauges and a single headlight? (to make the conversion) any suggestions on anything would be great! thanks!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

You can find new gauges on ebay. As far as connections look at eastern beaver . com they have all the oem connectors and the prices are good.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by zachcbr
I took apart the gauges and its gone to s*** so im just gonna go ahead and do the conversion to a naked bike since everything is off. I dropped the oil lst night and now im gonna change the filter and put in 3qts of marvels mystery oil and 1pt of 10w 40 oil and run that for about n hour or so then dump that and put in the oil ill use. any suggestions against that? and yeah ill check ebay to try and find a harness thanks! anybody know of a good place to get new gauges and a single headlight? (to make the conversion) any suggestions on anything would be great! thanks!
marvel mystery oil is super thin, considering that it can be run in the gas as well. i wouldnt run it for an hour. maybe like 5 or 10 minutes. or just get some cheap cheap oil and run it for couple minutes, drain, refill run for like half hour, change, etc, etc

Old 03-08-2012, 03:02 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by Mattson
(well, prolly not need for brake fluid...
Don't want to rain on any ones parade here, but I would think changing of the brake fluid as compulsory.

The stuff is hygroscopic, it just loves water and will absorb any of those little H2O molecules it can get it's hands on.

It may not cause an immediate problem but I bet in a years time when the pistons start to seize in the calipers you will be right pi55ed off.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:15 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Amazing story.

I guess my question is kind of pedestrian but how do you think the side stand snapped? I've never seen that happen on a sport bike in my whole life. Cruiser, with those long a$$ wide angle side arm stands? Sure. But sports bike stands are beasts.