General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Head Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Head Bearings

'1990 CBR1000F.I am checking the steering head bearings with the forks (and tire) off the bike. As the triple tree rotates, there seems to be a flat spot in the bearings at the point wherethe triple tree is positioned facing straight ahead. There is also someresistance in movement of the triple tree that is probably not noticable when the weight of forks and tire are installed. Can anyone provide me with some insight? Are these two issues part of the design and thereforenormal operationof the triple tree or am in need of new bearings? I have replaced steering head bearings on my dirt bike and it does not operate in the same manner. (no flat spot and very little resistance&gt

Old 09-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Steering Head Bearings

Not much experience with the CBR1000, but all bikes should have a smooth movement with the bearings, no flat spots. Is there any movement with the bearing themselves?. Even if there isn't, then some of the bearings may have been dented on the race surface. So the movement of the head sticks in that spot. Another possibility is that the bearing may simply need to be repacked with grease. But since you have to pull the buggers out to check, then may as well put new ones in.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:15 AM

you need new bearings. load or no load, they should have no resistance and not have any "flat spots" as you say. take into account the fact that your bike is many years old and probably has a few miles on it.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:27 PM

hopefully it's the bearings and not the bearing race and if it's anything like my 99 the race is pressed into the frame on the top and bottom. you can do it all tho with a bearing puller, I believe it is similar to a slide hammer with a special gripper on the end to pull the race out. Just take a stocket or pipe just about the same size as the bearing and tap it in. definitely something you could do yourself given you have some way to string up the front end of the bike like an overhead beam. the last thing you want is to be turning the bars in a parking lot or at low speed and it just locks in one spot...not likely but hey, it could happen I 'spose.