General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is like one of those word problems on the ACT that tries to throw you off by giving you a bunch of superfluous information.

What you are describing sounds nothing like an electrical problem whatsoever. Stop playing with the battery. I can't really tell what guided you in that direction in the first place.

If its turning over, that means your battery is working perfectly. It also means your kickstand switch is reporting properly. Start troubleshooting from the engine side. Like Whitedevil said: Are you getting air, fuel, and spark to your chambers?

There are a lot of things that can cause all of those not to happen. Start with the easiest, and work your way in. If you can start it runnign again, throw some seafoam through the bike, and make sure all your cylinders are firing. If it won't start, try some starter fluid into the intake. After that, check your fuses with a continuity or impedence meter. Don't eyeball them.

After that comes annoying disassembly: air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, spark plugs. Fuel pump relays and Regulator \ Rectifiers die on CBRs constantly. You can sometimes easily spot a dead rectifier, because they usually melt. but like I said, iIdoubt it's electrical.

If you're going in that deep, just take the carbs out and clean them. if the dude left the bike outdoors for two years, and did nothing to stabilize the fluids, I'm impressed the bike ever started. Day 1, Step 1 should have been: take the carbs out and clean the hell out of them.

In fact, just go ahead and do that right now. It needs to be done either way, and you may end up troubleshooting everything else for nothing.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:01 PM

First, it does not always turn over. It starts to and then just sounds as though the battery has died. The battery is the easiest place to start and given the fact that I already had to replace the stator because of issues I figured what the hell.

Second, this bike has no carbs its fuel injected so I wont be able to clean the carbs but I will go about checking for spark and the other things you mentioned.

If it was an air or fuel filter yes, I suppose it would have trouble starting but would that be the case after getting a good charge on the battery or getting jump started? After an overnight trickle charge on the battery or a jump start the bike always fires. That is what has led me to the charging system.

I have even consulted with a local shop that I have had experience with and was told that a bad ground or corrosion on connections could be the problem as well. I am only taking the information and sorting through it as I go about troubleshooting. It may be that the problem is more complex than what I am equipped to troubleshoot and fix.

Still working on it but not sure what else to try at this point besides a local shop.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Ah, didn't see it was n F4i. That explains why I didn't know what "smaller filters" you were talking about. That makes sense now.

Corrrosion is rare, as most of the components are made from alloys that are meant to withstand the elements. The only point you really ever get corrosion is on the battery terminals themselves.

If it doesn't always turn over, then yeah I'd susppect the charging system. In particular, the r/r. If it burns out, the bike will continue to work until the battery is discharged, and in some cases, will start throwing bad volatges back AT the battery, and significantly decrease it's life, or outright kill it.

Take a look at the r/r. A good portion of the time, you can see that its physically melted when it goes bad, so thats an easy diag. If its in good physical condition though, it may still be bad. Throw the fresh-charged battery on, and start testing voltages.