General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter switch problems? Please help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter switch problems? Please help?

Hey All,

This started a couple of days ago... I was wondering why my starter wouldnt turn over, it would just click at first when I pushed the start button, so I thought the starter was bad... It wasnt until I sent direct power from the battery to the starter that it turned over, so I know now that my starter is working (my battery is working at full capacity) . Also, the fuses all look good.

Is this a starter switch the issue? if so, how would I clean it or fix it? electrical cleaner? I wouldn't want to have to buy another one...

Today When I had the key turned to "on" and I press the starter switch the headlights go off and nothing happens, no click, no turning of the starter either. maybe a bad connection in the starter switch? a fuse "in line" that could have popped between the battery and the starter switch? I am still pretty new to working on my bike, so any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

-B

Old 03-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, you're probably looking at a bad connection. Either the battery, itself or
possibly at the relay. Trace all of the wires to and from the starter, looking for loose
connections, frayed/broken/burnt spots. That's where your main problem should be.

It also sounds like it could just be a bad starter relay. Check the wiring's integrity first,
though. The headlight turning off is normal, by the way. It's designed to do so,
to ensure maximum current is available TO the starter.

I'm less inclined to think you've also blown a fuse, because the headlights DO come
on. In the interest of being through...Due to the high current draw from a bad connection
on the starter, you might have blown the main fuse. It is seperated from the rest of the fuses.
Usually, right off the positive cable to the battery. It's possibly in a separate housing
or it may be housed with the starter relay. Take a look at it, while you're easily able
to do so.

Even if it's in good shape, stash a spare (or two) somewhere handy down there.
Sometime in the future, you might be glad you did.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 03-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

MadHattr is right in that it's most likely a loose connection, and you're right in that it's probably in the Starter Switch itself. 99% of the time fuses work until they don't. Then they don't work at all. They usually don't go bad gradually. You can eliminate the main fuse because your headlights turn on. The main fuse kills the entire bike, nothing nowhere. Dirty switch contacts for the starter switch, as well as the Engine Stop switch (the kill switch above the Starter Switch) are common. Both of these switches are serviceable, meaning that they can be taken apart and cleaned. I'm not a fan of just squirting contact cleaner into the switch because you don't have any control on where it goes. Don't forget your throttle cable is right there as well. If you take the right Clip-on off the forks, (depending on what bike you have) it's fairly easy to take the assembly apart to get access to the switch to clean it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Trace your power path. Dont forget that the circuit runs through the stand switch, kill switch, and on some bikes there is a fuse inside the starter relay. Listen to hattr and dirt, they know what they are talking about. Switch contacts are fairly common failure on some bikes, and a good cleaning in there would not be a bad thing.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the help! It was definitely the switch, I sprayed electrical cleaner and the starter was active!

however the button that you press to start the bike (the starter switch) stays stuck when I press it. it seems to be sticking. maybe the plastic is getting old? or it needs to be lubricated with something? I am stumped on this one.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

It's a simple mechanical switch that you can take apart and clean. Done it many times.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:50 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After you have cleaned up the switches, use di-electric grease to lube them.
Di-electric will conduct electricity, as opposed to most greases that are insulators.

Ern