General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo not work

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo not work

Ok so here's the deal... We bought my girlfriend her 07 Honda CBR600rr and it had some cosmetic issues that we had to take of... during the work... one of the wires to the LED lights that were on there grounded out and blew a bunch of fuses..

That was no problem.. fixed the wiring for the lights... put the correct connectors on it to keep it from doing that again... changed out the fuses... and done... bike was up and running again with lights...

Took it around for a test ride when I realized... hey... my speedometer isnt working... The Tach was working... the lights on the cluster were working.... but it just wasn't registering my speed... so i did some research... called some shops... kind of pointed me to the direction of me needing a new speed sensor... ok... so I ordered it.... installed it... still nothing...

Just talked to someone else... they are saying it possible I shorted out something inside the actual speedometer cluster... so my question is... before i toss around anymore money.. does anyone have any ideas on anything else that it could be? Any feedback would help.. girlfriend really wants her bike back but I wont let her ride without knowing how fast she is going... shes a new rider lol...

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 09-14-2014, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Look at page 20-11 of the shop manual. There is a procedure for checking it's operation. It seems really unlikely that shorting a wire would have caused the cluster to go bad. The reason I don't think so is that those LED lights probably don't get their power from the gauge itself. Fuses blow so that damage doesn't occur to the components. I'm not saying that it's not possible, but I would think its something more simple, like a lose connection.