General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slipping out of first

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slipping out of first

so i'll be coming into a turn or even coming to a stop when all of a sudden I am free falling. not a good feeling when in a turn. It will usually happen when I am easing off the throttle in first, or letting the engine slow the bike down in first. 07' 1000rr. anyone else?

[IMG]local://upfiles/23703/3CCFD111B41F463DA192E4AA3E21E252.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: slipping out of first

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean.... is it neutralizing?? If it is, that's weird for 1st gear... usually it's 2nd and/or 3rd that start jumping out of gear from worn dogs/grooves. Is it after you roll off the throttle, it jumps out soon as you get back on it to accelerate? That's what mine is doing with 3rd gear (worn dogs & grooves)... it would shift back to 2nd though (also not very assuring in the middle of a turn, lol)

How many miles on the bike? Still under warranty? If it's real low miles I would suspect a factory defect of some sort... might have an extra washer or something on one of the shafts not allowing the dogs and grooves to fully mesh with each other. Hard to say... not real common with 1st gear.

You downshift to 1st to go around corners???? [:-] How fast are you going when you downshift?? I suppose that could cause some wear on 1st gear dogs. Tranny doesn't like going into 1st gear at any kind of speed, and it'll let you know that with a very loud CLUNK

Old 02-03-2008, 02:15 PM

yeah it slips from first into neutral. I just had the first oil change and a crap load of stuff put on. I told the tech. about it but due to our weather in upstate ny he was unable to test drive it! I am going to bring it back in the spring and have them check it over. its enough to make an unskilled rider go off the road. Im no pro but have been around and it woke me up in a real hurry. Also if I were you I would be careful sliping from 3rd to 2nd. especially in those turns. yikes!!!!

Old 02-03-2008, 02:23 PM

did'nt see the second part of that. yes I down shift to 1st. And yes I am coming in hot. second in some turns just doesn't hold a comfortable torque for me sometimes. I like to let the engine do most of the braking. Like most of us,I have a problem of riding like I am on a track. I know how dangerous this is and now that I have a 1k. I don't think I will be having this problem anymore.Ha! but down shifting to first at the correct rpm range is harmless. NO BANG!!!

Old 02-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Ironmang

ORIGINAL: cbrocket1000

yeah it slips from first into neutral. I just had the first oil change and a crap load of stuff put on. I told the tech. about it but due to our weather in upstate ny he was unable to test drive it! I am going to bring it back in the spring and have them check it over. its enough to make an unskilled rider go off the road. Im no pro but have been around and it woke me up in a real hurry. Also if I were you I would be careful sliping from 3rd to 2nd. especially in those turns. yikes!!!!
Yea I've been limiting my rides up in the mountains until I get it fixed. I already ordered all the parts just waiting for them to get here, then I'll tear it apart and she should be good to go once again It's kinda nerve racking to have it downshift and take off like a bat outta hell in the middle of a hairpin! [:-] LOL

Only thing I can think of though for yours is you already wore down the dogs and grooves for 1st, or a bent shift fork. Can't really say without a teardown

Old 02-03-2008, 02:58 PM

yeah its under warranty so i might as well let them go diggin asap.
OFF-TOPIC you sound like you can ride, you don't use first when in a tight turn at high speed? I don't ,can't trust second. too much weight on the front end it feels. don't need a slip out!

Old 02-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Ironmang

I never downshift to 1st going into a turn.... ever, unless I'm going slow and stopping shortly after. But I'm also geared down -1 in the front so that keeps 2nd feeling quite frisky even down low. I'd rather have a lil more weight on the front during a turn than not enough... you hit it a lil too hard in 1st during a turn and it can bring the front wheel right up. Not something you want to do during a turn!! You'll either lowside or go right off the road. 2nd gear always works good for me

Old 02-05-2008, 08:29 PM

Did you do the first service or did the shop do the firstservice??
Just want to make sure you didn't use some newcar oil with the friction modifiers in it.
Does it do this in any other gear when the rpms are up or just first gear?