General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting up a CBR for gravel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up a CBR for gravel?

Ive got a CBR600F2. I inherited it, and its one of those things I cant ever sell. Just to much sentimental value. Otherwise, it would be forsale and I would be buying a dual sport. That said....

Has anyone put some all terrian type tires on a CBR and used it for gravel roads and very very light off-roading? I love exploring dirt and gravel roads and think it would be even more fun on a bike. Im not looking to make a CBR into a MX bike, just something I dont have to be afraid to take down a gravel road. Im also thinking a swap to MX handle bars might help quite a bit.

Thoughts?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

you would need to make it a "dirt fighter." interesting concept.

it would be really heavy and the suspension would take a serious beating. imo, you would be better off keeping it, putting the money it would take to mod it for dirt roads, and put it into a bike designed for that.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like this?
Name:  R1dirtbike.jpg
Views: 9085
Size:  129.9 KB

Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

that's serious.... looks pretty mean though.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:14 PM

Any more info on that bike Jeff? Im not thinking nobbies, more of a all terian type tire like the big BMW touring/dual sport type bike run. Will just a set of tires transform a bike enough to let it run on dirt?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

The weight distribution is pretty high and on the front side of the bike, it weighs 210kg stock so u are gonna sweat bullets taking that thing offroad. The front fork angle is pretty upright compared to mx bikes so it can possibly throw u off if u turn too hard on loose gravel. The pic proves it can be done, the sense says don't. If it has sentimental value, don't u fear of trashing it against a rock or something. Drift fighter idea seems reasonable enough, but that would propably mean modding the fenders too, cause road bike fenders tend to hug the tire pretty close, and u would want to leave room for the rocks and the mud so they wont shatter your arches when wedged in between. I would raise the suspension andjustment to or near the upper limit and loosen or change the front shocks.

i'm with the others, the money spent on the mods easily buys u an old CR or some else like that.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by Turboshadow
Any more info on that bike Jeff? Im not thinking nobbies, more of a all terian type tire like the big BMW touring/dual sport type bike run. Will just a set of tires transform a bike enough to let it run on dirt?
No story behind that bike just someone took a picture of it.

This thread might help Knobbies on a sportbike? - ADVrider

In post #14 there are a couple links with lots of pictures of other bikes.

As for just changing tires, You might want to look into a suspension upgrade because even just a dirt trail will beat the hell out of a SS suspension at speed.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

As far as off roading goes a CBR has no suspension travel. You'll hurt it quickly unless you honestly just stay to gravel roads.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Turboshadow
I understand what you are looking to do but this is not a good idea. From your message, this bike has sentimental value to you. If you could even find a all terrain tire, then the bikes weight and geometry are all wrong. My son and I race competitively nearly every weekend on our mx bikes so I do know something about riding on the dirt. I can tell you that going slow (5 miles an hour) on my CBR over a gravel driveway makes me incredibly nervous that I am going to drop it.

Trying to take your bike onto any off road situation will result in you dropping it. There are plenty of older XR's that can be found cheap and will be a much safer and more fun experience.

Not trying to be a downer here but would not want to see you get injured or trash your bike.