General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Electrical Issues for 2001 CBR F4i, Really need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Serious Electrical Issues for 2001 CBR F4i, Really need help

Whats up everyone. I really need your guys help, I'm completely at a loss of what to do anymore. I'm out of money, out of luck, and any help to point me in the right direction will truly be helpful. I'll try to list all the events leading up to my current issue to try to help as much as possible.

The first issue of many that happened in quick succession started a few months ago while riding. I was driving down the highway and out of nowhere the bike started sounding like a harley. Came to a stop immediately, called a good friend with a pickup truck, and found that the 3rd spark plug popped out. So not a big deal, found the tools, i was able to put it back in and i kind of assumed that perhaps the threads were damaged so i took the tools with me just incase it happened again. Low and behold it soon became a habit of tightening the spark plug once every two to three days. Finally got some threadlock and that seemed to solve that issue.

A few weeks after i was able to fix the spark plug issue, I came home one night to my bike was pushed on its side. I have some severe family issues and it appears my older brother found where i lived and tried to damage my bike. As of right now i'm not sure if he did anything else to the bike, but luckily no real damage to the cosmetics due to my stunt cage and the bike being in street fighter form. It seemed to be on its side for a few hours, but no matter, i picked it up, put it back on the kickstand and waited until morning to turn it on. At this point is where my current problem is coming into play.

So the next morning I'm driving down the highway and I start to feel a severe loss of power. Typically when i ride, since my bike is set up for stunts and what not, I bring it just below redline in 6th gear, which is probably a little over 100mph with the larger sprockets. When i started experiencing the loss of power, it felt like it was choking at full throttle, it wouldn't even get to redline. Naturally my first thought was bad gas or something in the fuel injectors, so i down shifted hard and gave it full throttle once again, hoping to clean out anything that may be clogging the injectors. In 5th gear, the choking got worse and worse until it eventually died on the highway. Bump starting the bike only worked long enough to get me maybe 50 ft at a time running at full throttle before it would die again. Since my first thought was fuel injectors, or perhaps a hydrolocked engine since it was laying on its side for so long, i bought an additive to clean the fuel, i cleaned the injectors, i replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the air intake and throttle bodies, did everything i could think of. Nothing worked.

Finally I tried jumping the bike and lo and behold it started right up. So I went out and bought a new battery, took it for a test spin and everything seemed fine. Unfortunately my luck wasn't going to last and right when i was about a mile away from my house the same thing started happening, aka the choking and the eventual dying of the bike. Nothing like walking a mile home pushing a 500lb motorcycle. Upon doing some research, some forums said to check reg/rect as it is a common failure for cbr's and to also check the stator while you're at it. Stator came out good but the reg/rect seemed to be the problem. I was relieved that I finally found the issue, so I immediately ordered it online and it came in a few days later.

Now, while I was waiting for the reg/rect to come in, I decided that it was time i got a new wireharness for bike too. It had been so banged up and it looks like even rats chewed through some of the wires from the previous owner, so I found one locally for pretty cheap. I didn't realize that the person was only selling the main harness and not the front headlight harness or the rear harness, so i ended up taking out all 3 harnesses that were all chewed up with live wires sticking out here and there. I took out the old harness to make comparisons before i bought it, all checked out good, and i went on my marry way.

So now the current problem I'm having is this. First of all, the fuel pump doesn't turn on when i turn the key. When i press the start it turns over and over but never turns on. To me, that means that I must've accidentally disconnected one of the safety switches. I've tried jumping the tip over sensor and kick stand sensor with no luck whatsoever. I figured I'd try to reroute the ground cable from these sensors to the main harness, thinking that this may be the issue, now instead it pops the fuses. I've even gone as far as jumping the fuses together because i've ran out of fuses from how many have popped during me trying to fix this problem. Even the main 30amp fuse popped on the main harness, and most recently, when i tried to jump the two ends together, it ended up burning the rubber straight off from the positive and ground cables connecting the tip over sensor. I'm at a complete loss, I'm not good with electricity. To ensure that it wasn't just the fuel pump that was bad, i also jumped the battery directly to the fuel pump plug and it turned right on.

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I can upload pictures of the wireharnesses and the cables from my bike early tomorrow morning if that helps any. If you have any tips or anything for me to check in the meantime. I'm almost at the point of giving up as this has drained my bank account quite significantly. Thanks everyone for the help

Old 09-15-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're blowing fuses, it's an indication of a circuit problem. You need to trace that circuit. Do you have a service manual or book? You can find them online if you need. You'll also need a multimeter to check continuity.

Until you get these you'll only be guessing at this electrical problem and that's not where I think you want to be right now.