General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 F4i Electrical Issues - Fuel Pump not priming

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 F4i Electrical Issues - Fuel Pump not priming

Yesterday I was riding and stopped for some gas. After gassing up I went to crank her up and she wouldn't turn over. After further inspection I noticed the gas pump wasn't cutting on and headlights/front turn signals were not turning on when I turned the key to the on position (front cluster was lighting up fine and not getting any error lights). While I was sitting at the station for hours, I checked all the fuses and visible wiring and found no issues. Eventually gave up, called AAA and waited 3 hours for them to find a wrecker that could handle a bike.

My roommate also has an 01' F4i, and since I'm at work, he's dicked around with the bike this morning and tried the obvious: switching out his relays and ECM with no success. He also threw my ECM on his bike and it fired right up so thank jebus that looks to be ok. Does anyone have any suggestions? The lowdown and dirty is this:

- Bike will crank, has plenty of power, battery holds a charge (was also jumped in the process);
- Fuel pump does not prime when key is in the on position;
- Front headlights out, front turn signals out;
- ECM and relays checked and are fine;
- Other people were getting gas from the same pump and seemed to have no issues;
- No error codes, bike was running fine all weekend/season until this point;
- All fuses fine.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ignition switch maybe. I dont know if you can get both your bikes close enough to pull the ignition harness and plug his into yours or not. The ignition has a zener diode that returns a set amount of current back to the ecm which in turn tells the fuel pump to prime. I dont recall it affecting the headlights and signals but it might. It is supposed to be a theft deterent to prevent thieves from hot wiring the bike. I have seen them go out a couple of times.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by jonld
ignition switch maybe. I dont know if you can get both your bikes close enough to pull the ignition harness and plug his into yours or not. The ignition has a zener diode that returns a set amount of current back to the ecm which in turn tells the fuel pump to prime. I dont recall it affecting the headlights and signals but it might. It is supposed to be a theft deterent to prevent thieves from hot wiring the bike. I have seen them go out a couple of times.
My roommate had it figured out before I even got home from work. Ended up being corrosion in the connector that snaps the sub-harness for the front nose cowl with the main harness. So he cut out the connector, soldered the wires and vollah: started right up. The lights not turning on made us try and find points which all these things came together. That harness was it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited by tmanana; 05-05-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:45 PM

Im having the same exact problem and checked everything in my bike but the ecm I have even checked my connector plugs but Im going to try tommrrow and see if i looked over something but this is the problem i have. My f4i started breaking up and now wont run I have no front lights no blinkers in front and fuel pump does not run. I have a manual and have checked relays fuses etc. All rear lights and blinkers work. The manual indicates there is a 10 amp fuse between the engine stop switch and the ignition can not find it. The next step is checking the ECM