General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security Options?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Options?!

So I'm shopping for a security system whats a reasonably priced security option?; I like the whole Lo-jack and other GPS tracking systems but don't like the cost of it and the the additional monthly costs for them. So I'm thinking just an alarm, thought of a good chain but there;s issues with those, not looking to spend more than I'd say 200-250; maybe even go real cheap and just go with the disc lock alarm; any suggestions? I'll pay up to 250US for the part and since I am very mechanicly inclined the installation is no worries.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:19 PM

I have a Xena alarmed disc lock, and locking carbon fiber cable, and a bike cover. No security system is perfect. Lo-Jack is a scam. Buy some reasonable security gear, practice safe parking methods. Get yourself some full coverage, report your bike stolen, put the insurance check towards a new bike. You do NOT want your bike back after its been stolen.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

A few things to keep in mind about security. As Johnnyx already said nothing is perfect. The biggest thing about keeping your motorcycle secure is eliminating it's mobility. You can lock your brake rotors in front and back. But a few guys hop out of a van with some rebar, shove it through the front and back wheel, pick up your bike and put it in the van. 1 minute and it's gone. I use a steel braided cable when I travel or if I'm going somewhere that I'll be leaving the bike unattended for a period of time. I either chain it to some imovable object like a tree or telephone pole, or even a sturdy fence. Sometimes we'll chain our bikes together. It's harder to take 2 bikes at the same time.

Insurance is nice, but you don't need full coverage. Comprehensive covers theft, so you don't need collision (the most expensive part of insurance). Now, if you wreck and it's your fault, then you'll wish you had collision.

These are just my observations from my experience from having a bike stolen and recovered. My wifes bike was in great condition after being recovered, only needed a few things and it was back on the road the next day in time for the Leesburg Bikefest in Leesburg, FL.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:24 PM

Never thought of chaining bikes together; that's a good one.