Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

security

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default security

well i have the alarm on order but went to lowes today to get my galvanized chain and eye bolt, curious ima have to do at night since my apt complex is gay to secure this into the ground. ima drill into the asphault to secure the eye bolt but curious cuz i know a standard drill aint gonna do the trick. i know on this forum have done this before and curious what they used to get the job done quik and effiectively. plz tell me what i need to get cuz i wanna get this secured asap cuz ive already noticed people have been looking when im outside on my deck looking out. i hate thiefs, we bust are *** for what we have and these bitchs steal are hard earned things that have taken us awhile to get.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Mad
Default RE: security

Dude...move.. or ask the guys at lowes what bit will work... I think they will tell you to get a masonary bit to drill into the concrete. Drill deep.. but don't do it drunk..Good luck...

Old 12-19-2006, 10:55 AM

You could probably use a 1/2 drill at low speed and a masonary bit be sure and put water in the hole while you are drilling it will keep the bit from glazing over remember the concrete is only four inches deep.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:46 AM

cool thx for the updates, doign it on my weekend. not moving cuz rent is dirt cheap were me and my wife are at, her rents pay for half our apt and not alot of bikes get stolen from this area

Old 12-19-2006, 02:42 PM

Dood what you need is prefferably the biggest dyna bolt you can find. Remove the center / standard king bolt and find an eye bolt to match the thread in the sleeve. Im thinkin atleast 3/4 unc thread minimum. It should say on the sleeve what size masonary drill bit to use.
Be verry carefull when drilling not to drillon any anglebut vertical. the last thing you want is a tapered hole. Remember you only get one shot at the hole. You'll also need an electric hammer drill.
If I think this is what your trying to do , Its a good idea but not the strongest anchor. If your seriouse about keeping your bike, Get a concrete cutter or driller round to yourhouse and get him to drill a 2 inchhole into your concrete, dropthe end of your chain in the hole and fill up the hole with wet concrete. When finished it should look like a chain has just sprouted out of the concrete. best of luck, hope this helps- Kearnsy!

Old 12-19-2006, 04:04 PM

Your apartment complex is letting you drill a hole in their parking lot??

MDFF

Old 12-20-2006, 01:46 AM

You need a standard massonary bit, I would suggest you get a 1/2 - 3/4 bit then get yourself an anchor system. I recommend red head they are easy to install and are strong as hell. That is what we use when we are anchoring machinery to the floor. What you do is drill the hole then hammer the anchors in then tighten the bolt. This will cause the sleeve to expand and lock in the hole. When drilling the hole if you have a standard drill go slow and pull the drill out often (every 10 seconds or so) to clear the dust out of the hole. DO NOT add water, this will cause the dust to stick in the hole and will cause you headaches! I would also suggest you do this in concrete, asphault is too soft and will not hold well. Concrete is hard and will support an anchor much better!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:50 AM

X2, my apartment people would kill me if i just started drilling holes

ORIGINAL: mdfirefighter

Your apartment complex is letting you drill a hole in their parking lot??

MDFF

Old 12-20-2006, 01:14 PM

U need the masonry bit but u also need to use a hammer drill. They make alot of noise but if u start drillin into concrete without one u could burn up your drill

Old 12-20-2006, 01:30 PM

lol hell no there not gotta do it at night when i get off work. o well liek someone said on the board earlier better to ask for forgiveness than have my bike stolen

Quick Reply: security