General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat & rear tail conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat & rear tail conversion?

In my opinion(and I believe many would agree) the "banana" seat and rear fairing on the f2 is somewhat ugly.

In my case If I am not mistaken the tail is from a F3.. and obviously doesnt fit properly, something you can see if you look closely at the pics. I even had to purchase the F3 tailight when it needed replaced...

Anyways my question is this:

If I wanted to do a conversion to a split seat what would be my best route when it comes to purchasing parts and doing the least modification possible. Im not a stranger to hard work or anything but I would prefer simple quick gratification like anybody else. I have seen people online use a yamaha subframe/seat etc to convert it so I know its in the realm of possibilities and maybe some of you have done this before.

What options are available and logical? And what kind of work/time/parts would I need to achieve this goal?

Just looking for some ideas or advice from people more experienced than myself. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:11 AM

I would also be interested in this...I've wanted a more modern tail section...but possibly a more modern front too...

Someday...but info would be great if I ever got around to doing this.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
I would also be interested in this...I've wanted a more modern tail section...but possibly a more modern front too...

Someday...but info would be great if I ever got around to doing this.
Well looking around the net and here on the forums it seems the converstion is quite common. Nostly just pics of people who have done them, not much "how-to" info. I guess we just have to get our hands dirty and dig in if we want one huh lol.

Mainly I would just like to know if I can do it without cutting my frame and welding on another subframe.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris,

I did the '01-03 F4i split-seat conversion on my F4. The link in my sig-line goes to my tutorial on the conversion.

The F4 & F4i share the same main frame & are basically the same bike...the F4 being carb'd & the F4i being fuel-injected. They both share the banana seat subframe/tail/seat sans the '01-03 split-seat version F4i.

In addition to my tutorial how-to, I've written extensively on doing the conversion to split-seat. Thanks to the split-seat subframe being a direct bolt-up to the mainframe, it makes it pretty easy.

In your case, if you wanted to use a split-seat subframe from a bike like the '01-03 F4i, you'd have to fab up & weld tabs/mount points to your frame. If you have access to equipment & supply, it would be a fairly easy process. I don't recall if it was on this forum, but I have seen an F3 w/ an F4i split-seat tail. It looked great. I've also seen F3's w/ hand fab'd tubular subframes for the track, w/ track plastics.

What you really need to do is decide on which tail you want. Then, consider what's involved w/ making it work. To that, you can make about any tail work w/ the proper tools, equip, supplies, & skill.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 PM

You might be able to look up a member named YourEnemy CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners - View Profile: YourEnemy

He had a f1 or f2, and put a tail from I think an RR, along with the front of an f4i. I don't think he has the bike, but might be able to guide you.

EDIT: Here is the build thread, https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2...r-body-133525/ I've looked through it before, but don't remember how detailed it is. That may be helpful. From the pics though, I'm not sure that it is a stock subframe (from anything.)

Last edited by armyjeffries; 06-07-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Chris,

I did the '01-03 F4i split-seat conversion on my F4. The link in my sig-line goes to my tutorial on the conversion.

The F4 & F4i share the same main frame & are basically the same bike...the F4 being carb'd & the F4i being fuel-injected. They both share the banana seat subframe/tail/seat sans the '01-03 split-seat version F4i.

In addition to my tutorial how-to, I've written extensively on doing the conversion to split-seat. Thanks to the split-seat subframe being a direct bolt-up to the mainframe, it makes it pretty easy.

In your case, if you wanted to use a split-seat subframe from a bike like the '01-03 F4i, you'd have to fab up & weld tabs/mount points to your frame. If you have access to equipment & supply, it would be a fairly easy process. I don't recall if it was on this forum, but I have seen an F3 w/ an F4i split-seat tail. It looked great. I've also seen F3's w/ hand fab'd tubular subframes for the track, w/ track plastics.

What you really need to do is decide on which tail you want. Then, consider what's involved w/ making it work. To that, you can make about any tail work w/ the proper tools, equip, supplies, & skill.
Really I would be happy with any split seat, anythings better than what I have on it now. Id be more choosy of which would take less modification. Any ideas or thoughts?

Or if it would be all the same amount of work I would probably go with whichever I could find easiest. I see a lot of sub frames online and some of them arent exactly cheap in my opinion. I could get some tubing and make it myself compared to what some of the ebayers are asking lol...

Any incite or suggestions would be appreciated

Originally Posted by armyjeffries
You might be able to look up a member named YourEnemy CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners - View Profile: YourEnemy

He had a f1 or f2, and put a tail from I think an RR, along with the front of an f4i. I don't think he has the bike, but might be able to guide you.

EDIT: Here is the build thread, https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2...r-body-133525/ I've looked through it before, but don't remember how detailed it is. That may be helpful. From the pics though, I'm not sure that it is a stock subframe (from anything.)
Ya I was looking at that he did a lot of great work.. maybe Ill shoot him a pm

Old 06-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRlS
Really I would be happy with any split seat, anythings better than what I have on it now. Id be more choosy of which would take less modification. Any ideas or thoughts?

Or if it would be all the same amount of work I would probably go with whichever I could find easiest. I see a lot of sub frames online and some of them arent exactly cheap in my opinion. I could get some tubing and make it myself compared to what some of the ebayers are asking lol...

Any incite or suggestions would be appreciated
IF you can do your own subframe fab work, the choices are limitless. Its more time-consuming & labor intensive than I think you indicated you wanted to do in your first post.

Otherwise, you're left w/ modding/adapting your tail choices to your current subframe or swapping out the entire subframe & tail.