General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ridiculous!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ridiculous!

So to make a long story short, I had a front tire put on my bike in May at, what many people say, is the best motorcycle dealership/shop in the Omaha Nebraska area. Anyway, since they are so renowned and all I assumed everything had been done correctly, especially since changing a damnfront tire has to beone of theeasiestthings for a motorcycle mechanic to do. Sofour months and thousands of miles later, my buddy and Iare sittin at the gas station fuelin up.I go in to pay, when I come out he bent down checkin out my front rim. "Dude, do you know your tire is mounted backwards!?"Low and behold, the bastards did indeed, mount it wrong. I was going to call and bitch them out, but I think going in the place and bitching be more of an advantage. If they try to screw me and not fix it I'm gunna be pissed.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ridiculous!

That is bad, but what's probably worse is you not checking when you had it done. I always check the wheel/tire direction after a change.

Hope you get it set right, what ever that ends up being.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:00 PM

That's nuts **(goes to double check tires)** but it does happen on cars and bikes.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So tell us, wot was the handling like? did you notice anything. I knew a lot of riders from some time ago, used to do weird things with tyre combo's and running one or both in the opposite direction.
I once had to have a tyre replaced in the days when they still used rubber inner tubes, slow leak, but by the time I noticed it, it was well down on PSI, I had to ride a ways before I could get it fixed, so I figured the tyre walls would be well & truly rooted, so new tyre. Explained to the guy in the shop what had happened, picked the bike up an hour later, Rode home. And yes, next morning tyre was flat, they had replaced the tyre and used the old inner tube!! (which they not supposed to do) Wot pissed me off most was that the shop was about a 3 hour ride from home, so the best I could manage was a verbal at them over the phone, & of course they denied it.
I would be demanding a new tyre as well.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:09 AM

WOW that is just amazing! That is why I do everything myself when it comes to my car or bike (yes.....besides mounting and balancing tires!!) Personally I think they should give you a new front tire for free, considering it could have made the life of the tire go faster than normal and negligence of the tech that installed it. Have you noticed any significant changes in the handeling? Hope all goes well.....but I would def ask for a replacement tire on the house....if they dont already offer to do so!

How much do tire mounters cost?

Old 09-06-2007, 04:48 PM

Guys, I've ridden over 1500 miles with the tire like that. A fair amount of those miles have been on the twistys. To tell you the truth I seriously haven't noticed the slightest change in the handling of the bike. I'm expecting them to give me a new tire. I managed to dig up the receipt. In BOLD print is the name of the tech that did it.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:14 PM

i imagine you would only have to worry if water had to escape from under your tire...

Old 09-06-2007, 05:31 PM

Actually 'TahoeSC' sent me a link that breaks down why it's so important to have the tire rotate the right way:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/Riderresc/tires.asp

Old 09-06-2007, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: n_vanexel31

Actually 'TahoeSC' sent me a link that breaks down why it's so important to have the tire rotate the right way:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/Riderresc/tires.asp

good info.