General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride height front lower - turn easier?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Official Junior Possum Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride height front lower - turn easier?

I spoke to a lady who worked at cycle gear, and I mentioned to her than when I try to turn really sharp and slow (such as a u-turn) the handlebars tend to go into the tank of my bike (I have a 2007 1000rr). She said if i lowered the front slightly, it would actually make turning easier since the handlebars would be higher up on the tank. Now I don't know if that's true, if any other riders has more knowledge that would be great.

That's just one benefit other than drag racing that I could think of

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-28-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: content
Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

My son has been racing moto x for 10 years and whilst prepping the bike for tight tracks we always drop the front end. Only by mm but it pays off. You can turn faster.That would be the only reason to move the rake angle. A more nimble front end. Not sure thats the solution for you though. Maybe ? The downside to this proceedure is high speed stability. Are you sure your handlebars go into your tank ? Is it possible you are just on full lock ? If your having "u turn" probz with your bike I would get in a few slow, tight, figure of 8`s in a car park somewhere. Bet your issue soon disappears. Best of luck fella

Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure one your bike but typically sliding the fork tubes doesn't move the handlebars.

When you raise or lower any part of the bike you are changing the weight bias and changing the effective rake and trail of the steering geometry. It also slightly changes the swing arm angle relative to the ground. This is a more sublte issue in regards to 'handling'.

When you lower the front end you decrease trail which lowers the ratio between steering input and direction change. ie....steering becomes 'faster'.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Lowering the front makes you able to turn quicker but isen't going to help your low speed u-turns.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolzio
I spoke to a lady who worked at cycle gear, and I mentioned to her than when I try to turn really sharp and slow (such as a u-turn) the handlebars tend to go into the tank of my bike (I have a 2007 1000rr). She said if i lowered the front slightly, it would actually make turning easier since the handlebars would be higher up on the tank. Now I don't know if that's true, if any other riders has more knowledge that would be great.

That's just one benefit other than drag racing that I could think of
does it look like its been moved before(front end)???..and if does!!!someone changed only the front not the back they probably threw the intended rake of the bike off, causing it to not feel natural when you turn..
I know if it is off x-amount of millimeters can cause what you were explaining..
so if anything i would probably raise the front up to where it belongs or lower the back seeing the last owner didnt do it right.. suspension is an art on these bike all to themselves..
theres plenty out there out there on fine tuning suspensions, especially on utube.. type in on the "throttle with dave moss" on utube.. you'll find a wealth of information there...
keep us posted on what you do..
jay

Old 09-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Also keep in mind the simple things. Make sure your front tire is properly inflated. An under-inflated front tire can cause the steering to feel heavy and fast turn in on slow turns.