General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restoration project

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoration project

Hi guys

I have just bought a CBR 600 fl as a restoration project - I have never done one before!

Can anyone tell me please are the engine number and the frame number supposed to be the same, or two different numbers?

Thanks for any help you are able to give.

Stuart

Old 12-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Default RE: Restoration project

Not sure exactly which model you have, but the numbers will be different anyway, as well as the carburetor serial numbers. What should be the same, however, are the first four digits (two letters, two numbers). At least that's how Honda has designated engines and frames here in North America.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:02 AM

Thank-you for that . How can I find out if the engine is original to the frame if the numbers are different ? Without spending any money of course!!! Stuart

Old 12-17-2007, 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: gwynsgarth

How can I find out if the engine is original to the frame if the numbers are different ?
If by original you mean came together when new, only the initial registration certificate issued by the dealer would contain the frame and engine numbers of the bike as it came from the factory. Things may be different in the U.K., however. Is that where you are?

On the other hand, if you just need to know that the motor presently sitting in the frame was originally designed to be there, try entering the numbers into a free online parts microfiche. Here's one that I don't use much, only because it is based in Europe, and I am not. [&o]

If it doesn't work, try looking elsewhere online for a parts fiche from a local dealer. Cheers!

http://www.bike-parts.fr/identification.html

If, by chance, you are in America, this link contains a list of Honda motorcycle models and their 'serial numbers', including frame, engine, and carburetor--but are U.S. only.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/getdesc.cfm?man=ho

Old 12-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Thank-you . I have found out the engine is original . All I have to do now is get it to run !!! The guy I bought it from ran it for 5 years without spending any money !! Wondered why it would not start one morning.Then left itfor 2 years !!Should keep me out of mischief for a month or two. Thanks again .