General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repacking a D&D....

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repacking a D&D....

I know what your all thinking, "D&D SUCK." I agree but this is my brothers bike and I get to ride it most of the time and the pipe just sucks. I am in the process of repacking it, second attempt, first time the end cap wouldnt come off. Yes, I got all rivets out completely, even went up a size in rivets when putting together.

Not trying to get a new pipe, but just really help tone it down as the old packing has lost all its life.

I started cutting it right after the rivet band, but noticed the end cap goes down about an inch more.... Now I guess I got to recut lower.

I have fiberglass packing I got from mcmasters awhile ago. It was rated for high temp or something along that lines. Should I include some SS wool first??

Or as anyone modded a baffle to it yet??

Old 06-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All packing is not created equal. You really should get the packing directly from D&D.

Having said that, If they didn't use steel packing before the fiberglass, there probably is not a need to do so. Just make sure you wrap it tight, as loose packing can burn quickly. The tighter it is, the more resistant to heat it is.

Just a side note though. Repacking it probably won't help any. D&D pipes are very skinny, and do not leave enough room for enough packing to make a difference.

Concerning the removal of the end cap, some pipes have the core welded or riveted to one end cap. In may cases, its welded to the outlet end cap, and the core is attached at the inlet side of the pipe, so removing the rivets on the end cap usually wont allow the core to come out. You usually have to remove the rivets from the inlet cap, and this will release the core and the end cap as one piece. then you can wrap it, and insert the entire core, wrap and end cap.

Last edited by justasquid; 06-26-2010 at 01:48 AM.