General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear tire alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear tire alignment

Hi
changed my rear tire the other week and reinstalled it. thought it went well. did lots of research on it. however, one of the posts i read said to check the sprocket for wear (shiney spots) to see if the wheel is aligned.
cant find the post but... the "in" side of my sprocket is showing wear.
Question is: which side to i adjust to align it? pull or push the sprocket side or the non sprocket side to align?
any help is appreciated
Cheers

Old 09-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few ways to set up your rear tyre, some use a "String line" set up & I have even seen a couple of ways of doing it with a board & adjustable bolts.
The rear tyre needs to be adjusted on both sides, most bikes have adjustments marks stamped into or on a piece of metal at the rear of the swing arm. These marks are not always if ever accurate. I take the easier approach, I mark each adjuster with a dab of white paint & I turn them in (or out) the same amount of turns.
If I read what you describe as the "In" correctly, then your tyre needs to be adjusted to the right more, But in reality it needs to be straightened.
Another thing that can cause the type of wear you have, even if the adjustment is spot on, is having your chain over tightened to much.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here. I just put the tire on all the way forward and back the tensioners out equal turns of the wrench. Seemed to work.

I've also seen things like this for sale:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/moti...alignment-tool

Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+3 Although this gets you in the ballpark, I've noticed it requires a little tweaking with the right adjuster afterwards. While on a stand, spin the rear wheel while checking that the chain is centered on the sprocket. There should be equal space on either side of the sprocket teeth to the links. To add to the confusion, sometimes after you get it perfect, you torque down the axle nut, and the alignment changes again DOH!