General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about a couple tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't mind extra work you can just take off the swingarm to remove the chain, I've done it before on my f3, not a huge deal considering you do it only like every few years.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vegas_rebel
Thanks, all.
I think this batch of tools will be:
Torque Wrench
Chain breaker / riveter
Dremel
Metric Allen Socket Heads
Metric T-handle allen wrenches
Magnetic grabber thingy.
I'll have to see what else comes up later, but this should be a good start.
Those are some good selections.

The Dremel 300 series is a good basic Dremel & gets great reviews. Its corded w/ variable speed settings. Comes w/a nice little supply kit of attachments, including cut-off wheels which you will need to do your chain removal. I recommend getting extra cut off wheels b/c they break easily. Besides Amazon, Walmart carries Dremels & Dremel accessories.

Here is the above mentioned model at Amazon & Walmart...
Amazon.com: Dremel 300-N/10 300 Series 1.15 Amp 5,000 to 35,000 RPM Variable Speed Rotary Tool with 10 Accessories: Home Improvement
Walmart.com: Dremel 300-N/18 120V Variable Speed Rotary Tool: Tools

As for the chain tool kit, I use the Stockton Tool Company Chain Breaker & Rivet Tool Kit (purchased from CycleGear). I've used it for multiple removals & installs, & its worked great. Don't think Amazon carries it though. They do carry MotionPro, Possie, RK, & D.I.D.

A word about the MotionPro kit... While it does tend to get good reviews, the *two* MotionPro kits I had were junk. The first one cracked during its first use at the corner of the U-shaped main body. The replacement second unit, the push bolt ceased w/ the spring & pin during its first use.

After that, I went w/ the Stockton tool kit & haven't looked back. One other thing I like about the Stockton kit is that it has a parkerized finish that's easy to grasp & control w/ greasy hands, whereas the gloss black finish of the MP is slick.

If you have any funds left over, you can fill out the order w/ small useful things like The Grunge Brush... Amazon.com: Finish Line Grunge Brush Chain: Gear and Chain Cleaning Tool: Sports & Outdoors . It makes cleaning you chains much easier.

Good luck on all your choices.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, cbr

I decided not to order the rivet kit today because I didn't have quite enough in gift certificate money to cover everything and I have no need to tear the chain off just now.

I did, however, order that grunge brush you mentioned the other day. After cleaning my chain last weekend with a toothbrush, I realized I needed a better tool for the job. For 13 bucks, I couldn't go wrong.

I'll take a look at those other chain breaker kits over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the info also, dyracuse!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

Like many people on here I do my own maintenance. The tools I use are:

• Metric socket- and hex set (mine goes up to 32mm. I haven't needed anything bigger up to this point. The rear axle nut is 27mm I think, so I'm good)
  • Small and large torque wrench. I tend to over-tighten things so these are a must for me. It's also great for peace of mind.
  • Breaker bar (haven't used it yet but it will come in handy when having to replace the sprockets again)
  • Chain breaker and riveting tool
I also always have a little bottle of blue Loctite (that I keep in my socket set), some brake cleaner and rags.
I made my own brake bleeder set with some tubing, an old lens fluid bottle and a small soda bottle with a cap. The lens fluid bottle (with a short piece of tubing) is used to drain the brake oil reservoirs and the Gatorade bottle has a hole in the cap with some tubing to be used to catch the oil when bleeding. I just wrap a bungy chord around it to suspend it near the calipers.

You don't need a huge amount of tools to do most of the maintenance. I can actually carry all my tools in a single backpack if a friend needs help (socket/hex set, both torque wrenches and any other stuff I need).

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 04-21-2011 at 04:40 AM.