F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Couple of newbe question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of newbe question?

I just bought an 06 F4I with 4000miles on it. This is my first bike and so far I love it! I love to play around with cars but ive never done anything to a bike before. I have a couple of questions about maintenance - What is the best oil/oil filter to use? How often should I clean and lube the chain? Whats the best cleaner and lube for chain? Where can I get stock colored fairings(Blue and black with red F4I)? I look at some of the sites ive seen on these forums and all the fairings are after market. How often should spark plugs be changed? What other maintenance should be done? Thank you for the help its very much appreciated! Sorry for the dumb questions but like I said im totally new to bikes

Old 09-06-2010, 10:27 AM

Do you have a service manual? That is one of the first things you should get.

This site here will help you with most of your questions..
http://www.shraz.net/motorcycle/f4i/

As far as fairings, I'd look on eBay or your local Craigslist.

From what I see, barely joining this site, the F4i scene is not that big. I hope this is where the best 'strictly F4i' forum is. Either way, I'm liking the community and positivity so far.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 AM

Oil - Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 Motorcycle Oil - the bottle has a picture of a motorcycle on the front and the back says "for wet clutch primaries"
Look in the owners manual, it shows how to check the oil level.
Make sure the level is ok.

Chain cleaner/lube - I have got amazing results with Dupont Teflon Multi Use Lube that you can get from Lowe's.
Just spray on the chain and wipe with a kitchen tissue paper, removes all the dirt without having to scrub or brush. Do this every 1000 miles.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:17 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by siCk f4i
the F4i scene is not that big.
lol dude the f4i scene is huuuuuge haa

Old 09-07-2010, 12:00 PM

You're best bet is to get a good manual. I have the one below and I love it and it is super easy to read/use. The manual tells you what to use and how often and in what way... It's great and affordable!

Manual: http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/465
OEM Parts: http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/14434

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by zmds18
lol dude the f4i scene is huuuuuge haa
lol, well i guess there is a bigger and better forum out there then. I rarely see any new things for sale/trade in that specific section, and also, I feel that our 'main forum' just lacks a bunch of threads, especially our stickies.

I don't know, I appreciate everybody's work, help and time they put in, but I just thought with 2001 F4i owners, until noww.. the scene would be bigger on here. That is, unless everyone is on another forum.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 AM

I am personally very happy with the site! I have gotten so much good advice on here that it has become my first source of information for all of my questions!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Thanks soo much for everybodys help! I have a couple more questions(sorry to be a pain in the *** I jus wana learn) Im going to use mobil 1 oil for sure that what i use in my stang but does Mobil make an oil filter for these bikes? What oil filter do you all recommend? Also have anybody used a product by Royal Purple called Max-Chain? I was thinking using wd-40 to clean the chain(works great from what I have read) and then spray some of this on? And lastly how to you remove the seat? I turn the key lock on the back and I can barley get the owners man. out.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by MuscleswitCBR
Thanks soo much for everybodys help! I have a couple more questions(sorry to be a pain in the *** I jus wana learn) Im going to use mobil 1 oil for sure that what i use in my stang but does Mobil make an oil filter for these bikes? What oil filter do you all recommend? Also have anybody used a product by Royal Purple called Max-Chain? I was thinking using wd-40 to clean the chain(works great from what I have read) and then spray some of this on? And lastly how to you remove the seat? I turn the key lock on the back and I can barley get the owners man. out.

Wd 40 will clean the chain fine. Ive heard the maxchain stuff is good too. Turn the key and pull the rear of the seat up slightly and backwards a few inches then you can lift it off.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by siCk f4i
lol, well i guess there is a bigger and better forum out there then. I rarely see any new things for sale/trade in that specific section, and also, I feel that our 'main forum' just lacks a bunch of threads, especially our stickies.
Everybody is too busy riding. Most people don't do any modding till the temp falls below riding comfort. zmds18 being the exception During riding season you're mostly gonna see "Help! My bike won't start / stay running / stop lowsiding" posts.

This winter I might investigate powdercoating the rims to match the blue on my bike, mesh covering the engine ports (but that means relocating my LEDs), SS brake lines and maybe some cf covering. Dunno yet. Gotta see how my money looks.

Quick Reply: Couple of newbe question?