General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with chain? or something the like?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with chain? or something the like?

Hi. I recently just bought a 2002 CBR F4i and it has about 17,000 miles on it. It starts up fine and everything, but when it is in motion, whether accelerating or with the clutch in, it makes this rubbing like sound. When I am riding slow, it is a slower pace and when I am riding faster, it is at a faster pace. And it also seems, when I am at a constant speed, it is lagging and pulling as it makes that noise. Thanks in advance with any advice.

-Jason

Old 08-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Problem with chain? or something the like?

how does your chain look? it could be many things...but like you said maybe your chain.
it could be old, needing replacement, out of alignment, etc. when was the last time it was cleaned and lubed?

can you tell where this sound is coming from?

Old 08-22-2006, 04:31 PM

Hi again, the chain looks like it is in good condition. Nothing stands out or looks unusual. The chain is really tight and has no slack. If that is the case, should I adjust it and how would I accomplish that? But I just bought the bike used, and I am not sure the last time the chain was cleaned or lubed. What would be the process to lube it up? Would just spraying it with WD-40 and loading it with some grease work? But I believe the sound is coming from the chain, because I am positive it is towards the rear and on the left side.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 08-23-2006, 02:09 AM

Yes, you need to loosen that thing up now. If you ride it to much like that it is going to snap and sling around and break something including your crank case.

I had this same thing happen when I took it to the shop, Sounds alot like a bindind noise or something. You need to have atleast and inch and 3/4 of slack. Thats how much stock is. Also when you loosen the chain, make sure you check the slack in different spots on the chain by spinning the wheel a little and checking it again and again.

As for adjusting it. Loosen up the axle bolt and tighten the two bolt heads on the tips of the swingarm. Have someone hold the bike and give the back tire a little kick to make sure its as far forward as it will go. Than tighten both of them the same amount by counting how many turns you do to each. It is good to put a mark on both with a black marker or something. Keep tightening until you have 1-3/4 inches of slack in the chain. Make sure you lube the chain up and than take it for a spin. There should be near as much noise coming from the chain anymore. If you have loosened the bolts really far than you might have to change the chain.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: DThompson

Yes, you need to loosen that thing up now. If you ride it to much like that it is going to snap and sling around and break something including your crank case.

I had this same thing happen when I took it to the shop, Sounds alot like a bindind noise or something. You need to have atleast and inch and 3/4 of slack. Thats how much stock is. Also when you loosen the chain, make sure you check the slack in different spots on the chain by spinning the wheel a little and checking it again and again.

As for adjusting it. Loosen up the axle bolt and tighten the two bolt heads on the tips of the swingarm. Have someone hold the bike and give the back tire a little kick to make sure its as far forward as it will go. Than tighten both of them the same amount by counting how many turns you do to each. It is good to put a mark on both with a black marker or something. Keep tightening until you have 1-3/4 inches of slack in the chain. Make sure you lube the chain up and than take it for a spin. There should be near as much noise coming from the chain anymore. If you have loosened the bolts really far than you might have to change the chain.
This guy is dead right, you'll put too much strain on the gearbox output shaft bearing and it will fail, and they are a right pain in the *** to replace,
PLEASE DONT USE WD40 as a lube, there will be lots of people telling you otherwise, it's only good for cleaning the chain, then use a good 80/90W gear oil and really work it into the chain, I know it makes a mess, when it's all worked in give the chain a good wipe with a clean dry cloth, it'll stop most of it flinging off,
check for tight links WD40 can't cope with the extreme pressures put on the roller bushes on accelleration,
if you got tight links get a new chain, thats your only option unless your crazy and want the chain to snap & cause endles damage to the bike & your leg

Old 08-23-2006, 11:47 AM

DThompson and mikequinn are both shooting for birdies here! take their advice! chain tension (or rather slack) is extreemly important. most people think it does damage to just the chain. dead wrong.

As for for the WD-40 statement... i couldn't agree more. Never ever use it as a Lubricant on o-ring chains. if you use it to clean it (which i have really no qualms with) be sure to wash it off completely. WD-40 is great for water removal (WD-40 = Water Displacement, trial 40) but acts as a solvent. The chain uses sealed rollers that have grease inside. it is not serviceable. what you effectively do when you clean and lubricate the chain is you're cleaning all the raod dust and dire away from the rubber o-rings and lubricating the bare metal to prevent rust as well as the o-rings to revent rot.

I use Honda's Brake and Contact Cleaner for chain Cleaner (It's Honda Approved for that) and for lubricant i use the Honda Pro Chain Lube with White Graphite. top quality stuff.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:18 PM

I just adjusted the chain last night and it doesn't make that sound anymore. One concern I do have is that as I check the slack in different areas of the chain, it seems to vary. What would be the cause for this? Is this a major concern? I did also spary it with WD-40, but from reading the above comments, I will make sure and pick up some chain lube today and make sure I lube her up good.

Thanks all,
Jason

Old 08-24-2006, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: inlikefletch

I just adjusted the chain last night and it doesn't make that sound anymore. One concern I do have is that as I check the slack in different areas of the chain, it seems to vary. What would be the cause for this? Is this a major concern? I did also spary it with WD-40, but from reading the above comments, I will make sure and pick up some chain lube today and make sure I lube her up good.

Thanks all,
Jason
Sounds like your chain has tight links if its slack in places and ight in others, I hate to tell you this but you need a new chain, you can try soaking it in parrafin for half an hour, then you must fully dry it by blowing compressed air through it into a cloth or rag, try working the tight links, it's time consuming but can work sometimes, you will have to replace the soft link, and then lube it with 80/90W gear oil, if you use the spray cans at this stage it wont work into the rollers fast enough untill the chain is warm but with the oil you'll hear the diference immediatley