General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power commander?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power commander?

I have an 07' 600rr and recently purchased a yoshi rs-5 s/o. A buddy told me that I should get a power commander for it also, and I was wondering what it does along with the exhaust and how it works.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

changes air/fuel ratio. there is a program where u can lean or richen the mixture at different aspects of rpm and throttle position.

Is it worth it? Some say yes...some say no.

Most people will say that you should get it tuned professionally which will cost a decent amount of money.

Do you absolutely need a power commander for a slip on? ..nope

you will prob notice that eh powerband will smoothen out.

I just bought one...but imo I wouldn't pay 270 or whatever the msrp price. Check ebay...people let used one go for cheap. .I picked up mine for 150 which made it worth shoving out the cash for. def check craiglist too...some girl was sellin hers 100 obo...i was about 10 minutes too late

Old 06-26-2009, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the info, but if i get one does it already have presets in it or do I have to map my own? And if i buy one used would it have setups from a pevious owner?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:51 PM

Im not sure if the presets are stored or not once the battery power is removed from the power commander, but either way, your going to want to map it for your bike and your bikes exhaust. You can download preset maps that are a generic map for your bike and exhaust. But, they are just that, a map that will cover a wide range. Your bike will fall somewhere in that range, but it will probably not make your bike perform the best. As chetman said, most people will suggest getting it tuned once you get the power commander.

IMHO, if your not going to get it tuned, its probably not worth the money to buy one for just a slip on. Of course, if you are noticing any stumbles or hesitation with your current set up, then a power commander can take care of those issues and clean up your response throughout the rpm range.

Basically everything chetman already said...

Old 06-26-2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by armyman2988
Thanks for the info, but if i get one does it already have presets in it or do I have to map my own? And if i buy one used would it have setups from a pevious owner?

If you're going to get a PC and use default maps, then don't bother. The whole point of a PC is to have something precisely programmed for YOUR bike, and the way YOU ride it. Uploading a map that someone else claims is aawesome may make your bike run like ****, because you don't ride the same way he does. This also means don't get it done at those places that don't let YOU ride the dyno. A lot of "track days" places will have a group come down with a dyno, and they'll do free custom PC maps for you if you pay for the dyno, or other deals. Look into that.

If you get a PC, you get your bike dyno'd, and you use a custom map for it. That's just how it goes. Just throwing one on for the hell of it is a supremely inefficient waste of $200+. You can get better performance from other $200 parts, than a stock PC.

Finally, don't even hit the dyno until you've already done all the other performance mods you plan on doing, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by johnnyx; 06-26-2009 at 04:50 PM.