General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to not get ripped off?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to not get ripped off?!?!?

I should have enough cash by end of September to purchase my first bike. I am going to be getting either an '01 or '02 CBR F4i, but I am a little unsure when it comes to what to look for when buying used. I really don't want to get sold a junker and wanted to know if there are things to check for right off the bat. Things like...

1: how to tell how much life the tires have left on them
2: how to tell how much life the chain has left on it
3: are there any ways to see if the bikes been down
4: anything else that you can think of lol

I plan on taking a road trip to cali (400 miles from where i'm at) and don't want to run into any issues. As soon as I purchase the bike, I plan on changing the oil and breaks, and anything else you all recommend doing before making the trip. Any help is appreciated!

Joseph

**Sorry if this is in the wrong section, new to this site. Mods, feel free to relocate if necessary.**

Old 06-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Unless there is alot of mileage brakes should be fine, but brake fluid should be looked at.
Chain check for slack and how much adjustment is left in it.
Tires are like any other, check tread depth, also look at how worn the center is and if it is squared off.

First bike??? go take the safety course before that road trip.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by cman9toes
Unless there is alot of mileage brakes should be fine, but brake fluid should be looked at.
Chain check for slack and how much adjustment is left in it.
Tires are like any other, check tread depth, also look at how worn the center is and if it is squared off.

First bike??? go take the safety course before that road trip.

Thanks for the response! I've ridden before, but it was my dads bike, and he did all the work on it. As far as the tires go, I know you can use a quarter to check if they need to be replaced, but is there any way of telling how many miles are left on them?

Old 06-23-2009, 07:20 PM

worn out tires dont mean a bike is a junker. if your really concerned about getting ripped off ask someone who is an experienced rider (cuz your new) to test ride the bike b4 you buy. Its the best way to check out the bike.

Also take into play the owner of the bike. Is he young? stupid? immature? Generally, if hes a dumbass then you can be sure he hasnt taken care of the bike and you should ask ask ask and pry pry pry. Typically, the only thing they will say is how "fast" the bike is.

make sure they know their **** and can prove it to you by showing you.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out the sticky at the top of the page. Used motorcycle buying guide...
https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-stickies-106/used-motorcycle-buying-guide-3025/

Take your time to make your decision. Don't fall in love w/ any one bike you see. Ideally, if you can, have the owner meet you at the honda dealer of your choice to have the bike checked over. It will cost a nominal fee & they'll check it over you. Just explain what you're there for & they'll give it a once-over. If the seller won't go for this, it may be a red-flag to not buy. Tell ya what, if I was thinking about selling, I'd be glad to do this b/c I'd be getting a factory checkup for free!

Don't be too concerned about tires. Ideally, you'll want to get a new set of tires when you buy the bike anyway...that is, unless the tires on the bike are basically new w/ very few miles.

As for chain, just check the chain guide on the swingarm for how much adjustment there is left b/f requiring a new one.

When looking at a prospect for purchase, ask the seller if you or he can remove the lower fairings to look at the mechanicals. That shouldn't be a problem if the seller is honest. As for other signs of the bike being down, you can look for dings on the frame, swingarm, case covers, radiator, etc.

Don't be afraid to ask for service & repair records, etc.

Main thing is doing your homework. Read all the used motorcycle buying guides that you can find. Ask as many questions of the seller about the bike as you want.

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:21 PM

The main problem I'm running into is the pricing on these. I'm looking for an 01-02 CBR600 F4i. KBB shows a trade in value ranging from 2600-2800, with a retail value of like 3500-4000. I know people are trying to get as much as they can, but when I see people trying to sell them for 3500-4000 used with high mileage, I tend to think they are stretching it a little. I know that I am going to be doing a little work to the bike as soon as I get it, I'm just trying to make sure that I'm not getting ripped off on these prices. I've seen quite a few available in my area, so I also know that there is not short supply of them as well. What would you say is a good base price for that year of bike, maybe 15,000 miles on it, never downed, and pretty well taken care of? Thanks for the help again!

Joseph

Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Smalls, I don't want to sound like a broken record but you've just got to do your homework & research.

KBB can be a good guideline...look at the retail value for what you'll typically pay an individual/private seller. Once again, its a guideline. It really depends on the area of the country you live in, the types of mods the bike has, the quality of tires & components, mileage, overall condition, & availability.

For example, in the SoCal area, you should be able to find a decent serviceable 01-02 for anywhere btwn 3200-4500. I don't know about Tempe, AZ, where you live though. You say there are quite a few for sale, so there should be some competitive prices.

By the way, CASH TALKS. Take cash w/ you to look at a bike. If you find a good specimen, make an offer! Don't be afraid to tell the seller - pending a mechanic's inspection, you'll pay cash asap. When folks see a lot of green when they are attempting to sell something, they will often relax somewhat on the price to get that green in their hands.

Anyway, to be more specific in answering your question... In my area, I wouldn't pay more than 4 - 4500 for an '01-'02 w/ 15k-mi...& for that, it better be a nice - almost perfect condition bike w/ very good tires! There's just too many other options avail to pay more than that.

Examples:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...233094620.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1234721559.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1234469930.html

Good luck...

Last edited by gotcbr; 06-24-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: fun
Old 06-24-2009, 09:24 PM

kbb is not a good indicator really. With 15k you will be looking 3500-4000. Less than 10k 4000-4500

Old 06-26-2009, 11:02 PM

it isn't a quarter to check tire tread depth!

Take a penny! hold it so ABE is upside down. If the top of Abe's head can be seen you need new tires! edge of penny to Abe's hair is 2/32. Min tread to be legal is 2/32.