General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance mods

Any one have a good idea what I should do to improve the engine power for a CBR 600 F4i 2002. It has Yoshi end can, KN Air Filter, 1 down on the front to 15 sprocket, PC 5, Been dynotuned I do not want to buy a bigger or new bike I love my little old 600 but on the track it is down a litte on the newer 600s.

Was thinking about duo plugs and larger injectors to start but as the chamber is small anyway this may not yield results. Then thought shave the head but the costs stack up quick then. If anyone has a recommendation of exhaust from manifold to can dimensions please let me know of even a recommendation on brand or person in Perth WA.

Open for ideas

Thanks

Old 03-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full exhaust, n dyno tune for it. Tune n maybe tweak the suspension and work on getting your form down. Your bike wont touch the newer 600's regardless what you do really, they're that much better. So improving your skills and getting smoother will prolly net better results

Old 03-25-2011, 12:04 PM

You want to go faster on the track? Suspension, brakes, etc..

I'd recommend "respringing" the front forks, picking up a aftermarket rear shock, swapping front master cylinder, upgrading pads/rotors.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:14 AM

fORGOT TO MENTION DONE THE BRAKES AND FRONT SUSPENSION WITH A 'GURU' IN THE ART OF. Worked well too, done the dyno tune again with a guru in the art of, need to do rear but I think it is not as big a deal at the mo. gained my recommendations from the track guys. Not too concerned about my form it is pretty good although always developing even after 27 years of riding. Looking for Performance mods to the engine guys, so if you can think of any let me know please. Thanks for the advice though everything you all say is certainly valid.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
Your bike wont touch the newer 600's regardless what you do really, they're that much better.
+1

They get lighter and faster almost every dang year. Its like a computer. You can have the greatest for about a year before something NEW comes out. haha

Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 AM

Are you only riding one track? If so, get your bike geared for that track. Im not sure just one down in the front will help most situations at the track. If you aren't using all gears and nearing redline, you can probably go with lower gearing to get the power down better. It will certainly help to keep the newer bikes from getting away as fast. But this will make your bike suffer on the street. But you can always swap sprockets back.

The other thing to remember is this. Anything you do to your bike, is probably being done to the other bikes on the track. So if your riding against newer bikes, they already have a much better platform to start with, and they will improve over their stock condition the same amount your improving yours. So it really can be impossible to keep up with them like PG said.

If you really plan on spending that much money on engine mods with heads, cams, intake, injectors..ect. You would be way ahead of the game to just update to a newer ride. I know its hard to accept, and the desire is there to make your bike be as good as the newer bikes. But its just not in the same league. Once you ride a newer bike, your feelings towards your current bike will fade pretty fast.

Also, even if you can match their power, or even get more power, your chassis cannot get the power down the way newer bikes are designed to do so. I really think them pulling away from you is more their chassis and the ability put the power down without upsetting the bike is a bigger factor then the amount of power they put down. I would imagine the place you are getting beat is out of the corners and down the straights. thats where the chassis comes into play. The sooner they get the power down, the sooner they are gone. They can get the drive out of the corners your bike cannot get, no matter what modifications you do. Imagine dropping in a liter bike engine into your chassis. It would still not keep up with the newer 600's. Your chassis is not capable of putting the power down.

You can go with cams, injectors, full exhaust, shave the head, race tune. But everything you do to get an extra hp here, extra hp there, will make the bike very unhappy on the street. And, it still won't keep up with the newer bikes.

I say just enjoy your bike. It truly is one the best all around sportbikes Honda ever produced. Just don't try to turn it into something its not.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:50 AM

full exhaust header back, i see you said you have a kn air filter but is it a street or race air filter, you can upgrade to a race airfilter maybe a BMC filter if kn doesnt have a race one for your bike, then of course retune for the full exhaust and race filter, depending on how much money you want to stick into it you could also get a set of race cams for it and of course have to do serious retuneing with that upgrade.

Last edited by stretch_the_apex; 03-27-2011 at 08:57 AM.