General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of Ideas

So my bike is sick.

It's actually been going on since I bought it 6 mo ago, but it's finally been rendered unridable. There's something very wrong with the electrical system. When I first bought it, the battery wouldn't hold a charge, so I bought a new one and a battery tender. All was well for about six months, as long as I put it on the battery tender every night. Finally, my range was down to about 15 miles. On my way home, I pulled in the clutch to begin decelerating toward my exit, and the motor stopped. I was still coasting, but couldn't even pop the clutch to get it going. No spark, no signals, no horn, only very faint indicator lights. I replaced the stator, battery, and R/R. All was fine for about 3 days. After that, got back into the same cycle of having to put it on the tender every night, with decreased "cruising range." Two days ago, same thing, same spot- died as soon as I started coasting to the stop sign from my off ramp. It's been about a week since I replaced the stator, R/R, and battery. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, unrelated- I have a very pronounced knock when I get going from a dead stop- pretty much as I'm letting out the clutch that seems to fade as the engine gets up to speed, though it could be I can't hear it over the pipe and engine noise. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-20-2007, 01:07 AM
Default RE: Out of Ideas

Have you checked the voltage when the bike is running??? SHould be around 14 volts, if you're not getting that, that means your stator ain't charging, so you need to figure out why it's not charging and go from there.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electrical problems are the worst, because it could be ANYTHING causing this. There may be a signal wire grounding itself out, who knows. I would take it into a trusted shop that works on electrical systems. It'll cost you, but it'll get fixed. Either that, or replace the entire electrical system........which would be costly.

I know what when I had an electrical problem in my car, I spent weeks trying to find the source of it. Took it down to an electrical shop, and they found that one of my instrument gauge cluster wires was grounding out, causing an electrical short. It would have taken me years to find that.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:43 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

also something we need to know.. did you replace everything at one time or did you replace 1...2.......3...... and now your wondering why its still broken ?

Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 PM

I replaced all three of those about a week and a half ago, all at once.
The thing that blows me away is that it ran great for a few days without being on the tender- it's my daily driver until the Winter rolls in.
Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

sounds like your problem is somewhere in your wiring.. check all the plugs for loose connectors .. dont just look and assume its fine get close and check each wire. also see if any of your wires are melting together . and check the battery you put in. if its the wrong kind it could be over charging your system

Old 09-25-2007, 04:23 PM

I put in some new license plate lights and a cheap xenon head light bulb a few weeks before I started having problems. For the plate bulbs I spliced into the constant tail light, and the head light is considerably higher draw than stock. Any of these sound like they could be it?