General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help. Out of ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help. Out of ideas...

1993 CBR 600

The bike sat all winter without fuel stabilizer. It would not start up when I first tried. I pumped out the old gas, put fresh gas in, still nothing. The plugs were wet, but "looked" good. (I changed them last year). I cleaned them up, let it dry out a bit, and still nothing.

So yesterday I tore it apart, cleaned out the carbs real well, put it back together, and still nothing. Then I checked to see if there actually was spark. Could only get spark out of one plug.

Today I bought 4 new plugs, got spark out of all of them. (coils and wires are all good). Before I put the tank back on, i poured some starting fluid in the carbs and tried starting it. IT WORKED. Fired up and died.

So I put the tank back on, thinking I had it fixed...but I can not get it to fire again.

Am I not getting gas? There is suction at the petcock from the skinny tube that goes to the first carb.

Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:39 PM

I'm no engine guru, is the battery charged?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 PM

Yea, full charge. It turns over, but it won't fire

Old 04-15-2011, 12:07 AM

Check the vacuum line that goes to the back of the fuel petcock. If that's not connected then your not getting gas.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:28 PM

vacuum line is connected. I can feel suction when I take it off and try to start it

Old 04-15-2011, 06:44 PM

ok...

It fired when I used starting fluid, which means I have spark, correct?
There is gas in the carb bowls, and they were empty the other day because I cleaned them out, which means I am getting gas, correct?

I am stumped

Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if all 4 cylinders were running, then you've got spark... so i'm sure you can rule that out.

its fuel related. make sure none of the fuel lines (including the breather) are kinked.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 PM

The breather is open. I shot air down from the hole under the gas cap. If the fuel lines were kinked, would there be gas in the float bowls?

Old 04-16-2011, 02:48 AM

You have spark, you have it running when you spray in starting fluid, you gas in the float bowls. that only leaves the gas is not leaving the float bowls up through the carb for some reason.

When you cleaned the carbs, did you remove all of the jets? Did you remove the pilot jet? A key thing to remember with the pilot jet is that it does not get tightened down all the way. It gets gently bottomed out, then it is loosened 1.5 to 2 turns out. This is the jet on the outside of the carb towards the front of the bowl. If you didn't remove that jet, more than likely there is gunk in it from when you cleaned the carb.

What happens when you give it a little throttle? If it tries to start, you either have the pilot jets set wrong, or maybe something as easy the idle not set.

Also, keep in mind, the choke must be operating as well. CHeck to make sure that was installed correctly. If its not working properly, the bike won't start.

Im guessing you didn't need to clean the carbs though. More than likely you just fouled the plugs. Those bikes are very tempermental and can flood very easy.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:05 AM

Try opening the throttle all the way to full and then hit the starter button. It should clear the excess gas if you flooded the carbs. Used to work all the time when I'd flooded the carb on the many bikes I've owned over the years. The only other thing I can think of is that the choke isn't set properly or even though you have fuel in the float bowls, it may not be getting through the pilot jets as suggested by another member? The holes in these are very tiny and should only ever be cleared using compressed air! Good luck with it!

Quick Reply: Need Help. Out of ideas...