General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Cam lube and engine assembly oil for a rebuild? Also what to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Cam lube and engine assembly oil for a rebuild? Also what to replace?

Which Cam lube and engine assembly oil for a rebuild? Also what gaskets and bolts to replace?

Old 09-17-2018, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I used Redline Assembly Lube. Seemed to work well. The oil is a personal choice, but if it's only gonna be used for breakin, I wouldn't bother with anything fancy. I used mineral oil

All the gaskets should be replaced, definitely the head gasket, along with anything else that you don't want leaking or would be a pain in the *** to replace after the fact

Replacing the bolts is a personal choice. I didn't bother. The exception is any pinch bolts are considered single-use. They are commonly used for conrods, and maybe some other locations as well. Consult your manual, as they'll spell it out

You'll probably also want to do valve stem seals and any o-rings while you're at it

What are you rebuilding?

Old 09-17-2018, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you apply the assembly lube, and where do you apply the mineral oil?

I’m rebuilding my F4i. Dropped it and bent the crankshaft. It’s my first rebuild so I want to do a punch list before I rebuild it.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Tentacleslap probably won't mention it 'cause he's to modest but he has an outstanding video series on here concerning rebuilding an engine. You may want to take a look at that. It's packed full of how-to's.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Aw shucks

Pmartone - you should start a rebuild thread. I (and others I'm sure) would happily follow along. It's a good idea to check availability/price on everything but I'd hold off on ordering parts until you make sure the engine can be saved. Taken as a whole, a rebuild is a lot of hours, but not a lot of difficulty, mostly disassembly and inspection. Reassembly is 90% waiting on parts that you forgot to order and 10% trying to fit small parts in impractical spaces. Firing it up is like the best parts of Christmas mixed with the worst parts of a rollercoaster

Generally, the assembly lube will go everywhere where two pieces of metal will rub up against each other. Bearings, cams, etc., but it's too thick to use in cylinders or transmission. Use oil for those. It's all in the manual

Any questions just ask

Old 09-18-2018, 05:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for redline assembly lube. I used it when I did valve reshimming. Applied generous amounts to all the lobes on the crankshaft etc.
Are you doing a full rebuild or just top work?