General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL WINDOW, CRITICAL FAILURE!?!

Old 06-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL WINDOW, CRITICAL FAILURE!?!

Ok, I can't see any oil in the oil window thing on the right side, you know where the oil is supposed to be viewed, am I supposed to tilt the bike to see it? Its on the kickstand and I'm trying to see it but its not there, no oil is visible. Also my bike has started to make a ticking sound, and I'm worried about the pistons ceasing up. Which would totally destroy any hopes of finishing the season. The ticking sound is audible when the bike is in neutral. Also when I am in motion from 1st to 2nd. It kind of fades away after I get up in the gears, after 35 mph maybe, am I in serious danger of critical failure? Let me know because I'm scared ****less about this right now!@

Old 06-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Default RE: OIL WINDOW, CRITICAL FAILURE!?!

I heard that your supposed to stand the bike straight up and look in the window. There are 2 lines on the right side of the window the top is full and bottom is low.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: jerrad

I heard that your supposed to stand the bike straight up and look in the window. There are 2 lines on the right side of the window the top is full and bottom is low.
Yeah that's right, the bike has to be straight to check the oil. Do you have a rear stand? If you're worried then add some oil or just change it all together.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:50 PM

Any opinions on the 'most suitable' oil to put in it for a 40k engine? It's a 99 F4 the carburated version not FI. Also what oil filter?

Old 06-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil filter, go with stock if you can. i currently run a mobile 1 filter as it allows me to put more oil into the bike. yes, some will contend that it's not made for the high revving of the bike, etc...but my own research shows that the filter material works great. also, as long as the bypass pressure of the filter is not less than the stock, all oil that would've been filtered by stock filter will also get filter by mobile 1 filter.

as far as oil to run...may schools of thought on this....as for me...i've run full synthetic, blend, dino only, car dino, etc...

trick is anything non-energy conserving AND frequent oil changes. a guy i know sends his oil to blackstone labs to get tested...so i base my choice off his results because i know the kind of oil he uses and how hard he rides, etc...so i can make an informative decision based on his tests and my personal experience.

my recommendation to you is just to run honda GN4 if you're not comfy running car stuff, etc.

i have 39K on my F4i and everything is still running great.

T

Old 06-13-2006, 07:25 PM

Castrol is a great oil. Easy to find as well. It is built for small motors ie; Bikes

I personaly run spectrol. Its a 'bike oil' and its great if your running hard on the streets. If your picky, Motul is a great oil, most racers use it. Filter wise...I would run Stock or K&N . K&N's are proven time after time, and they have a 1" nut on them so you can use a socket and not a oil filter adapter. My 2 cents.